• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank - 108L

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Yes, I do have a filter already. I was afraid that it's subdimensioned. But I'll wait a couple days to see if the water gets
if its too small capacity wise, i’ll ofcause consider getting another one.
-and yeah! Wait it out a few more days and see if it settles down.

Stocking sounds great.

-r

Gaisller

Water is no longer milky. After a few days it turns into crystal clear again.

The only thing remain to be done is the black background.

Fishes are been shipped today. I should receive 'em tomorrow.

Captura de tela 2023-07-24 100508.png

Gaisller

What species of pencil fish do you think it is better to keep with the abacaxis? Will they prey the fry?

Here some pics. I think that they really are a pair, right?

Possible female:
femea.png

Possible male:
macho.png

Thanks in advance!

MacZ

What species of pencil fish do you think it is better to keep with the abacaxis? Will they prey the fry?
Any will do, N. marginatus and closely related ones might end up preyed upon themselves. There are no reports of any Nannostomus eating Apistogramma fry. I personally love N. eques.

Gaisller

Thanks for the help. I ordered 10 pencil fish at my local fish store. I’ll know the species only when they arrive… Brazil at its best. Last time I bought I get Nannostomus eques. This time? Who knows. Lol

Male is already showing amazing colors. What a beauty!

IMG_7704.jpeg

anewbie

What species of apisto do you have ? Sadly i'm pretty poor at looking at pictures and identifying species.

anewbie

Just been said a few posts earlier.

Means A. wilhelmi. But I have to say... it doesn't really look like it to me, yet.
Really where - he said several times he was going to get abaxsis but they don't quite look like abaxsis and he didn't say he actually received abaxsis.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Means A. wilhelmi. But I have to say... it doesn't really look like it to me, yet.
There is no A. wilhelmi as well as no A. abacaxis, merely A. sp. Wilhelmi and A. sp. Abacaxis (I prefer the latter name) ;) Depending on how the patern and coloration of the male's caudal fin develops these are either A. sp. Abacaxis or A. cf. sp. Abacaxis (Marimari).

Last edited:

MacZ

There is no A. wilhelmi as well as no A. abacaxis, merely A. sp. Wilhelmi and A. sp. Abacaxis (I prefer the latter name) ;) Depending on how the patern and coloration of the male's caudal fin develops these are either A. sp. Abacaxis or A. cf. sp. Abacaxis (Marimari).
Oh, they still have the sp.? whoops.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks, Frank. This type of thing needs more people to understand the difference between a valid scientifically described species and an undescribed species - and how to use it properly.

MacZ

My bad, it was simply a case of forgetfulness, the differences are known, I should have checked the status before posting instead of going by (obviously bad) memory. (That's what you get from posting on a train ride instead of at home where it's easier to look things up.)

Gaisller

What species of apisto do you have ? Sadly i'm pretty poor at looking at pictures and identifying species.
As mentioned before, I bought them as "Apistogramma sp. abacaxis". Looks the specie is right to me, but I'm no expert and like Frank said it could be sp. Marimari as well...

I'll update here when they get bigger so we can know it for sure.

Gaisller

Thanks Frank!

Can you tell me the difference between this two species? I took a look on Tom C's website and noticed that sp. Abacaxis maybe have longer black line on caudal fin. Is it right?

Last edited:

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Thanks Frank!

Can you tell me the difference between this two species? I took a look on Tom C's website and noticed that sp. Abacaxis maybe have a red line on caudal fin. Is it right?
A. sp. Abacaxis and A. sp. Wilhelmi are just different common names for the same species. But I suppose you asked for the difference between A. sp. Abacaxis (A227) and A. cf. sp. Abacaxis (A228)? The former shows some rows of spots merely in the middle part of the caudal fin whereas the latter has at least the upper half sometimes the complete caudal fin patterned by vertical rows of spots/stripes. Usually A227 in addition has at least some but often even a lot of orange coloration in the caudal whereas A228 doesn't and instead shows some blue coloration. The problem is that many people, including most fishermen and exporters, don't keep the two forms/species separate so that by buying tank bred specimens there's always the possibility to get hybrids.

Last edited:

Gaisller

A. sp. Abacaxis and A. sp. Wilhelmi are just different common names for the same species. But I suppose you asked for the difference between A. sp. Abacaxis (A227) and A. cf. sp. Abacaxis (A228)? The former shows some rows of spots merely in the middle part of the caudal fin whereas the latter has at least the upper half sometimes the complete caudal fin patterned by vertical rows of spots/stripes. Usually A227 in addition has at least some but often even a lot of orange coloration in the caudal whereas A228 doesn't and instead shows some blue coloration. The problem is that many people, including most fishermen and exporters, don't keep the two forms/species separate so that by buying tank bred specimens there's always the possibility to get hybrids.
Oh, nice to know it! Thank you very much.

With that said, it seems to bem A227 to me. The caudal fin does not show blue at all.

IMG_7799.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

The breeder said to me that this is a F1 pair. So they can't be hybrids, right?

I'm also starting to think that they are two males instead a pair...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….