• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma tankmate for A. macmasteri

apisto2024

Currently have a blackwater tank (30 x 18 x 18) with a resident A. macmasteri pair. There are also some Corydoras here but planning to remove them because they make the tank look too busy. The top/surface column has several hatchefishes and cardinal tetras.

Now, should I remove the Cory cats, the bottom will look barren. Thinking about adding a fancy pair of agassizii or elizabethae.

anewbie

If you add a pair of whatever (pair implies m/f); there will be a war between them and the a. mac and someone will likely be kicked out (as in dead). I find it hard to imagine a tank of that size would be large enough

apisto2024

If you add a pair of whatever (pair implies m/f); there will be a war between them and the a. mac and someone will likely be kicked out (as in dead). I find it hard to imagine a tank of that size would be large enough
what if another male of a different species? But wouldnt that be too cruel to only have a single sex of another species? They would be lonely!

anewbie

what if another male of a different species? But wouldnt that be too cruel to only have a single sex of another species? They would be lonely!
Fishes don't get lonely - at least in the human sense. Some fishes require groups (schooling fishes) because that is how they feel safe and other fishes require groups for social reasons (boita loaches); but most dwarf cichild at adult age do not fall into those category. If the mac are a pair they will behave aggressively towards another male cichild. So consider that if you add another species male. A single male mac would likely be more acceptable of a single male elizabeth but there are never guarantees.

apisto2024

Fishes don't get lonely - at least in the human sense. Some fishes require groups (schooling fishes) because that is how they feel safe and other fishes require groups for social reasons (boita loaches); but most dwarf cichild at adult age do not fall into those category. If the mac are a pair they will behave aggressively towards another male cichild. So consider that if you add another species male. A single male mac would likely be more acceptable of a single male elizabeth but there are never guarantees.
Im looking for other small cichlids or any other fish that is not hyper active (I kinda like the way how Apistogramma swims). Sterbai just feels to hyperactive. Certain times of the day i call the witching hour they just race back and forth and at times they sit quiet after running out of energy.

anewbie

You don't want a bottom fish with the macs down there; but you could try a nice rasbora or one of the smaller tetra like ember or green neon. Conversely pencil fishes are often recommended. You do not want any of the larger tetra like cardinal or serape if you want to raise frys - if you don't care about frys then those are options.

MacZ

but you could try a nice rasbora or one of the smaller tetra like ember or green neon. Conversely pencil fishes are often recommended.
Shouldn't be added at too small size, though. You often see these species at so small sale sizes they could end up as live food.
Im looking for other small cichlids or any other fish that is not hyper active (I kinda like the way how Apistogramma swims). Sterbai just feels to hyperactive. Certain times of the day i call the witching hour they just race back and forth and at times they sit quiet after running out of energy.
Then all you need is a single dwarf cichlid and some rather slow moving shoaling fish above.
The fish wouldn't be lonely for long, the others will likely make sushi of it. The tank is definitely too small to combine different species of dwarf cichlid. And there will be more than enough aggression between the A. macmasteri. Either when the female gets into breeding mode and starts terrorizing the whole tank including the male or if she won't over a longer period of time, then he might chase her to death. Just as a heads up.

And as @anewbie already said, no, lonelyness is not a problem in territorial fish. Yes, the fish will not experience social behaviour, true, but that can be balanced out with enrichment: High diversity in live foods, regular addition of new leaf litter, moving around some wood (but that only concerns fish kept alone).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What others write makes sense. You need to ask yourself what it is that you want: a tank with a pair that can breed or a community tank. In a tank your size the two almost always are incompatible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….