• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just a question (Agassizii with Bitaeniata?)

nijrem

Hey...

This is a far way from happening; (see my post in the health department..) but I've spotted some wild Bitaeniata at the LFS I trust the most.. Would they be ok with Agassizii in a 1 meter enviroment? (Not too intent on breeding but I might seperate couples to a 60cm or 80cm tank if they want to breed)

Getting this batch will be impossible probably; None of my tanks are ready for wild apisto's, the ph will just not do. But they seem like a nice fish to have in the 180litre tank along with my Agassizi (provided they survive the treatment they get right now) and some black neons, pygmy corydoras, otocinclus and single Ancistrus leucostictus.

I know wild fish are a lot more sensitive to parameters as the tank bred agassizii I have, and considering how they are doing; maybe I should stay far away. But I really do study a lot about these fish, I read tons from all sources I can find. So maybe.. just maybe I'll try.

The empty tank that's supposed to house all this is a 180 litre/1 metre Juwel. It has some driftwood in it, and some echinodorus (2 different kinds) but I intent to add more wood and leaves, and filter over peat to further reduce the ph.
I'm trying to restrain myself; not adding fish before the water is 'perfect'. In about 7 days, I hope to add black neons to help cycle the new tank, the ones my favourite LFS had were actually ill and being medicated, aswell as filter peat and adding some almond leaves (before the neons come along..). After that, I'll still need to do regular testing before I think of adding any dwarf cichlids, but hopefully the parameters will tell me what's 'safe'.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. agassizii and A. bitaeniata are often found together in the wild, so in a suitably large aquarium they should be fine. I would not put any fish in your tank until you are certain that your problems are over. It would also be best to quarantine any new fish before adding them to an established community.

nijrem

A. agassizii and A. bitaeniata are often found together in the wild, so in a suitably large aquarium they should be fine. I would not put any fish in your tank until you are certain that your problems are over. It would also be best to quarantine any new fish before adding them to an established community.
I've certainly learned my lesson. I hope my Agassizi recover, I've spared no expense but I wish I just spent that money before they got sick on a quarantine tank. I still suspect a parasite, but I can't really be sure. Anyway, I won't be rushing into things, I've never done that. Always been 'safe' with water parameters, but bringing in new fish and quarantining them I've never done up untill now. I will definitely make it a big rule. No more new fish without a quarantine period!

edit; the male is still in the quarantine tank at least for another week. If he gets better, starts eating well and actually looks like he's supposed to look, only then will I start looking for other fish. His new home-to-be will be cycled for weeks, ph reduced (I'll get him used to it by slowly adding tank water to the quarantine tank and the old community tank). The other fish in the old community might move along; at least the A.Agassizii female will; she too needs to get used to the lower ph (not much lower but closer to ideal for them anyway), the ember tetra and otocinclus may not move, I'm not sure yet what kind of schooling fish I want in there. Black neons or Ember tetra. I do love the embers though, they look great when schooling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….