• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I have BABIES!!!

Apistt_ed

just out of curiosity, I know that temperature and Ph affect the outcome of sex and even appearence (such as in A. Trifasciata), but I have multiple babies coming,

2 clutches of A. Cacatuoides (triple Red)
2 clutches of A. Trifasciatas (wild)(in ph 5,6.)
1 of German Blue Rams
2 clutches of A. bitaeniatas
and Curviceps...

what I was wondering was, has anyone in here had this even happen in their clutches(high finnage in Trifasciatas, male female ratio in Cacatuoides, etc.)? what were the parameters fo your water? and what have you done to maximize the growth and health of the fry? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thank you

Neil

Apistt_ed,

Congratulations! Boy, you are going to town on the breeding. 8O

Yes, I have noticed a diffence in my trifasciata when keeping the in more acidic water, but I have not done any experiments to see how profound the difference is. Genetics probably have as much to do with it as anything.

Sex ratios are probably related to more factors than temp and pH, and vary from species to species. You can find a detailed study of this in Römers Atlas.

Neil

Apistt_ed

thanks.. i'll fill you all in as everything progresses... the breeding just kinda all happened... i got all the techs and "kinks" out of the setup and all and poof, everything gets the urge... maybe it's all the marvin gaye music i been playing huh?
starting to run out of breeding tanks... maybe think about starting a huge community tank... always wondered how a custom wide tank would look in the fishroom. thinking about a custom tank from all-glass aquariums right here in town (4feet wide-5.5 ft long) set as a centerpiece for my fishroom... set up to be clearwater apisto tank(mini-aquarium).. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….