• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizii vs Trifasciata vs Panduro

Kvalsogramma

have a 250l tank where the Agassizii male (and his current spouse) chases everything else away to the third part of the tank which is filled with coconut caves, roots and plants. Lots of plants. What they chase away are the other three Agassizii females and 4 slightly smaller Trifasciata. It is so violent that he recently killed a male Trifasciata. So only three of them left. I have a smaller tank (100l) in which 4 panduros go, about the same size as the Trifasciatas. I've read that Panduro are even more aggressive than Agassizii, so I guess my immediate thought of moving the remaining Trifasciatas there would be a bad choice. Both tanks have many hiding places, but as you can see, they are not large tanks. I do not have the opportunity to set up a third tank at short notice. What does the forum think? Leave the Trifasciata in the larger tub despite the very aggressive Agassizii, or take the chance that Panduro will be less violent? The Panduros have not mated yet.

MacZ

You only have two options:
1. Get a third tank (alternatively a plastic tote as used for quarantineing) and keep one species in there (you already said it's out of the question.)

or

2. Rehome/Sell/Donate one species on short notice.

(or 3. DO NOT move any fish! You are right, moving to the other tank is not an option.)

Kvalsogramma

Thanks @MacZ . Quick temporary solution: I moved a lot of driftwood and plants to the middle as a divider. Of course, the Agassizii male immediately started exploring the wrong (= right) side of the tank after this, but I hope he will get back to "his" part soon. As for "third tank out of the question": Well, I can set up a 14l tank right now. But man, that's really not what any Apistos want. You know that as well as I do. Bettas can cope with that, apistos not so much. Also a heating issue, these fellas like 25c, not 20c which is my room temp. Pretty sure a new tank without heater will reach too low temp quickly. Damn, looks like my plan of going down to 2 tanks is failing. I used to have 16 tanks... due to bettas, scalare and various other cichlids breeding..... In the end, that was more work than joy, so I cut down big time. But only two tanks, yeah, not realistic. Think I need another 250 ASAP to preserve my sanity - and if not that, then at least for the sake of my fish.

MacZ

and if not that, then at least for the sake of my fish.
I have nothing to add to this. My motto.

To me it seems you basically only needed the confirmation of what you already knew.

14 liters is indeed not enough for even one Apistogramma, so you'd need at least a 60-80 liter tank to defuse the situation acceptably before actually planning forward.

Kvalsogramma

yes, I basically wanted a second opinion. Things are less "violent" now, with a more proper placement of roots and plants, it's easier for the other agassizii and trifasciatia to hide. I am used to larger tanks and much larger cichlids, so this is a new experience to me. I was naively expecting Apistogramma to be a bit less extreme than Jack Dempsey, Oscars and such. They're not, really. Just smaller. Before bying another tank I will do even more with the decoration, make it even more separated.

Mazan

I agree, a male Apistogramma was one of the most aggressive cichlids I have owned. eventually needed a 240l tank to himself (well with some non cichlids and a couple of much bigger cichlids too).

MacZ

yes, I basically wanted a second opinion. Things are less "violent" now, with a more proper placement of roots and plants, it's easier for the other agassizii and trifasciatia to hide. I am used to larger tanks and much larger cichlids, so this is a new experience to me. I was naively expecting Apistogramma to be a bit less extreme than Jack Dempsey, Oscars and such. They're not, really. Just smaller. Before bying another tank I will do even more with the decoration, make it even more separated.
I had east African Rift Lake cichlids for a decade, which are known to have an attitude. The dwarfs taught me a new level tha past years.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As you have discovered, apistos - as a mixed species community of breeding fish - are not ideal. My suggestion has always been 1 male of 3 or more different species with similar dispositions but different finnage and body shape.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….