• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H. sp. 'Guinae 2' or 'Simbala' hemichromis or no?

Chugger

5 Year Member
i have seen some people unsure about weather or not this fish is a hemichromis or not so what do you guys belive.

Chugger

5 Year Member
i have seen it plenty of times , so thats why im asking, i really like the fish, im just trying to see if , they r really thinking of moving it to another group besides the hemichromis.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Where have you seen that said? I would like to read about any reclassification happening with West Afriacn genera. There is no doubt that Hemichromis is one of the genera that is generally mentioned when hobbyists and scientists discuss reclassification projects. Same goes for the Pelvicachromis genus. I do not know of anyone actually working on reclassifying either. Randall should know more about that though.

As far as sp. Guinae 2 in particular, there are a few appearance differences between it and the other Hemichromis species that probably generate the talk, but I do not know anything about scale counts, bone structure, etc... in that fish to comment.

Chugger

5 Year Member
im looking now, but me and randall, have talked about it, and i think he is one of the people who, told me, plus it is on acouple of website i have seen over the past year, i'll try to get the links for you, listen im not trying to start a fight about this topic, just wondering about it thats all.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) A fight? I am genuinely interested in knowing. Asking for verification/clarification ain't fightin' words!

Chugger

5 Year Member
thats good, me too, im just sick of people getting bent out of shape over information, sometimes it feels like im trying to get a 40 hour work week out of a liberal when i ask about stuff, and im not trying to say it's you, it's just sometimes people take questions as hidden insults.

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis sp. "Guinea II/Simballa"

Hello guys,

Hemichromis sp. "Guinea II/Simballa" can't be reclassified because it has not been classified in the first place...lol! To date, this form remains an undescribed species.

I've never heard of any discussion to the effect that Hemichromis sp. "Guinea II/Simballa is not a Hemichromis species, however. In some behavioral situations, this taxon exhibits dark midlateral and caudal peduncle blotches both of which are characteristic of many Hemichromis species. The body and head profiles surely appear Hemichromis-like as well. We'll know more when the form is described.

Randall Kohn

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Not to throw gasoline on these embers, but the first time I managed to get the Guinea I form, I was told by a prominent German importer that it was a "Parahemichromis" species. Of course, when I tried to find information on this "genus", there wasn't any such thing. I think this may be the source of confusion about these two undescribed species being outside of Hemichromis.

However, I recently heard that Hemichromis itself was likely to be split betweeen the fasciatus types and the Red Jewel types. Now THAT'S throwing gasoline on the fire!:biggrin:

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis

Hello Chromedome,

Right you are; there is no such genus as "Parahemichromis." I first heard of the pseuo-nomen a few years ago in reference to the two undescribed Guinean Hemichromis forms, but there is no legitimate basis for it: the range of Hemichromis extends north into Senegal in western Africa.

As for spitting the genus to separate the "red" jewelfish from the five-spotted forms, this is hobbyist speculation and is not new. Some hobbyists have been suggesting such for years, but is there a reasonable basis for a split? When Wilhelm Peters described the genus Hemichromis for H. fasciatus in 1858, he characterized the species, in part, by the possession of a protractile premaxilla (protrusible mouth) and simplified buccal dentition consisting of unicuspid teeth. Although not all subsequently described Hemichromis species possess unicuspid teeth exclusively (some species do possess some bicuspid teeth as well), the osteology and buccal dentition cited by Peters are common to all described Hemichromis species and differentiate these forms from the other African cichlids. Should the genus be split at some time in the future, other distinguishing characters that are presently unpublished will need to be utilized.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noiz

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….