• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do other fishes have issue with gut bacteria beside otocinclus

anewbie

For reasons i don't fully understand it has been said that if the gut bacteria of a otocinclus (i presume all species) dies it cannot be replaced and the fish will eventually die. My question is: Are there other genus with similar issue. For example there are oto like fishes in the genus Hypoptopoma would they have the same issue or even genus not even close to otocinclus such as apistogramma or danio. Is there more information around the situation with otocinclus and if it is unique to the genus what characterisitic of the fish leads to this uniqueness.

MacZ

All herbivores, basically. Just I doubt this is a problem in Otocinclus since it is by now quite clear they are not strict herbivores.

anewbie

All herbivores, basically. Just I doubt this is a problem in Otocinclus since it is by now quite clear they are not strict herbivores.
So the bacteria dying in the gut thing is just an internet rumour and not factual issue with them; or you suspect that is the case ?

MacZ

I have intensively researched the literature on Otocinclus and found no factual basis for the gut flora theory, which admittedly I also held true for a while. They are simply not strict herbivores but aufwuchs eaters, meaning factually between omnivore and detrivore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alejandro Thiermann

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(