• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any apisto's available in the Philly metro area?

ErtyJr

Hope everyone doing well. Busy Summer here. Will be posting more late Summer. Into my ponds right now. Fish Factory had(s) pelvicachromis nigerian red. Nice fish. That fish Place has 35% off all fish and plants through 8/2. Plan to visit next week. Have a nice pair of apisto cruzi right now, coloring up. My apistos doing great with Discus. Though I would overfeed because of volume I give to discus and their slow eating habits, but no problem for about a year now. That's all. enjoy the rest of the Summer!
Thanks for the update Kevin! I bet those A. cruzi are looking great. Excellent species! I've seen some pics of the pelvicachromis they had very nice. One of the employees there is a member of one of the Facebook groups I admin. I have to say I almost went and got some myself. However I'm fairly content with the west African dwarf I'm keeping now, Nanochromis splendens. Gorgeous fish, other than that it's all apistos for me (oh yes and I forgot I also have some dwarf pikes as well, Crenicichla sp. Orinoco) glad to hear all is well, and maybe we can put in that killi order one of these days lol.

Chance

Kevin F Smith

Hi Chance. Nannochromis species have always been my favorite dwarf cichlids! Please keep me in mind if you have young. BTW Don is back at FF, which is great.

ErtyJr

Hi Chance. Nannochromis species have always been my favorite dwarf cichlids! Please keep me in mind if you have young. BTW Don is back at FF, which is great.
Certainly Kevin. I'll make a note of it right now so I don't forget about it. Atm they are the only fish in the fish room I'm not actively trying to breed lol. But they've only been in there about 3 weeks so with any luck they will get around to it soon.

Kevin F Smith

Thanks Chance. I also like nannochromis parilius/nudiceps. Haven't seen these in the hobby for a long time except via mail, so they have become high price. If you ever see these at the LFS, please let me know. i would get enough to put in all my tanks. Used to see them occasionally at TFP.

ErtyJr

Thanks Chance. I also like nannochromis parilius/nudiceps. Haven't seen these in the hobby for a long time except via mail, so they have become high price. If you ever see these at the LFS, please let me know. i would get enough to put in all my tanks. Used to see them occasionally at TFP.

Sadly I haven't seen any in the shop in a long time :(

However I do know where you can buy transvestitus or parilus online right now. If I recall transvestitus was $50 a pair and the parilus was $60 for a trio (1m and 2f) let me know if you're interested. Both are species I'd like to keep one day!

bobthebadger53

Hey everyone, this thread has been inactive for a while but I'm back to searching for apistos after some room in my 55g has opened up. I was wondering if anyone has seen A.Cacatuoides in stock recently/ has some for sale. Thanks!

ErtyJr

All my cacas are currently sold but I have a second batch close behind that will be ready in a few months. I do have both Apistogramma sp. Winkelfleck and Apistogramma sp. Abacaxis available in sexed pairs, and I'm working with my Crenicichla sp. Orinoco right now trying to get a spawn. Just finished doing some water changes and live feeding for them a few moments ago.

I was at clash of the cichlids yesterday in york, my Winkelfleck male took first in the dwarf cichlid category and placed third for best in show out of about 70 entries! Sadly there is no award for 3rd best in show! Ugh!

Kevin F Smith

Saw some cacs at TFP about a month ago. They usually have them. Call fish room and ask. For mail order, Ted Judy is the place to go. Teds Fishroom.
Congratulations Chance! BTW, got a bunch of nannochromis and congochromis and baenshi, hongsloi II from Ted. Doing well so far.

ErtyJr

Saw some cacs at TFP about a month ago. They usually have them. Call fish room and ask. For mail order, Ted Judy is the place to go. Teds Fishroom.
Congratulations Chance! BTW, got a bunch of nannochromis and congochromis and baenshi, hongsloi II from Ted. Doing well so far.
Which Nanochromis did you end up getting? My splendens are finally taking in interest in each other and are digging out spawning pits now, fingers crossed thinking they may lay soon. Congochromis is another great one, I was tempted to get some as well!

Kevin F Smith

Hello all. Hidden Reef is listing Apisto baenschi 10/20. Going there today, will let you know if any left, and quality.

Chance, how are your splendens coming along? Mine died. Can't figure why.

gerald

5 Year Member
Chance, Kevin, other Nanochromis breeders -- I have a lone male splendens (from Ekona, who got the pair from Wet Spot, who got them from O.Lucanus in early 2014). Would like to either find an adult female, or send him to somebody who has extra females, and receive a bag of his fry in return. BTW splendens is supposed to be slender-bodied -- it's an adaptation to living in faster flowing habitats than the other Nano species.

ErtyJr

My N. Splendens are coming along well... splendidly. They have yet to breed for me though. My male was bullying the female very badly I now have a divider in and she is growing very fat. I hope the belly goes pink soon so I can attempt to put them together again. Sorry to hear about your loss kevin, I am hoping to have fry atleast by spring time. During the winter I will have much more time to put forth, won't be so many fish shipments. However I guess that's a great problem to have!

Gerald, if I do get some fry in the spring I will be happy to send a female your way.

Kevin F Smith

Thanks Chance. Under what conditions do you keep splendens? Do you use RO? How often do you change water? PH, etc. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Gerald, but I haven't any splendens at all right now.
BTW, if anyone knows where I can get N. parilius, please let me know.
As for the baenschi, I went to Hidden Reef yesterday, they have four, two male, two female, one mail is yellow tail, the other red. They are $20 each. Look a little thin, but are eating and active.

gerald

5 Year Member
That was the problem I had too. Even when the female was plump and pink, "shaking her stuff" at him, his only response was "attack!" They lived for many months in side-by-side tanks where she would try to look enticing and he would ram the glass hard when he'd enough of her. I tried 3 or 4 times to reintroduce them but it never worked. Eventually she died of unknown causes, possibly related to long-term egg retention.

QUOTE="ErtyJr, post: 95442, member: 12533"]My N. Splendens are coming along well... splendidly. They have yet to breed for me though. My male was bullying the female very badly I now have a divider in and she is growing very fat. I hope the belly goes pink soon so I can attempt to put them together again. [/QUOTE]

ErtyJr

Kevin how I'm keeping them is not really ideal. I use the same water for them as my apistos. All my apistos get RO with a pH of 5 and a KH of 0. However these fish come from the lower Congo where pH is actually around 7. I may try them in tap actually.

Gerald I got my male smaller than my female, for a long time she would chase him but not too bad. Then one day he realized he was the same size. They got along for a few weeks and were digging nests. Then suddenly one day he had grown much larger and got vicious. He has since beaten the hell out of her on site. She is huge and plump now however the belly just won't turn pink! Once it does I'll try em together again and hope it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….