• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any apisto's available in the Philly metro area?

ErtyJr

Hey guys just checking in to see how everything is going. My Nanochromis splendens have finally brought out some nice free swimming fry, they are 1-2 weeks old now and growing quite fast! These fry are much much more easy to care for than apistos! Gerald seems it shouldn't be long before I can provide you with a new female.

Attachments

• 20151208_185503.jpg
    20151208_185503.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 603

bobthebadger53

I contacted the Hidden Reef and they said they should have apistos if I stop by. I'll probably go there after the new year once things calm down. The Yelp reviews say a lot of bad things about the health of their fish, but hopefully I can get some healthy Cacatuoides.

ErtyJr

Hi Chance,
I would be interested in a pair and if you're male heavy, some males.

Sounds good Kevin, I will keep you in mind once they get to their proper size. Female is already plumping up and I expect I will have more eggs in a week or so. How is snub nose doing these days? My pairs are no longer producing orange flash fry, looks like I'll have to invest in a pair of orange flash here soon lol, or atleast a male.

Hey Bob, I currently have female cacs only, if you wanted a female I could help but that's all I've got sorry!

Bobblehead27

Hey how big are your female cacs. I have three cacatuoides that I picked up from hidden reef and they're about an inch long so I'm not positive but it seems like the two bigger ones are males and the smaller is female in which case I am going to be in the market for a few females soon.

ErtyJr

Hey Bob my females are right around the 1 inch mark. Have any pics of the fish you received? I'm in the market for a nice male to expand my genetic line.

Hey how big are your female cacs. I have three cacatuoides that I picked up from hidden reef and they're about an inch long so I'm not positive but it seems like the two bigger ones are males and the smaller is female in which case I am going to be in the market for a few females soon.

Bobblehead27

Well only one of mine has any color and it's not much in the fins. I'm kinda hoping that's just because they're so young.

The pics are in order of; colorful male, presumed beta male,
Presumed female.

Idk I really hope they color more than this. Haha.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 434
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    823.5 KB · Views: 453
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

ErtyJr

Well only one of mine has any color and it's not much in the fins. I'm kinda hoping that's just because they're so young.

The pics are in order of; colorful male, presumed beta male,
Presumed female.

Idk I really hope they color more than this. Haha.
At that size they should get more colorful but it should also be showing a bit as well, all yours have clear fins. However they may still gain color. Also, I hate to say it, but I think they may all be males. Again all small so it's hard to say. Here is one of my nicer females. She is around an inch or so. It's my personal female you can't have her sorry =P future breeding stock.

Attachments

• 20151228_180236.jpg
    20151228_180236.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 536

Bobblehead27

At that size they should get more colorful but it should also be showing a bit as well, all yours have clear fins. However they may still gain color. Also, I hate to say it, but I think they may all be males. Again all small so it's hard to say. Here is one of my nicer females. She is around an inch or so. It's my personal female you can't have her sorry =P future breeding stock.

You're killing me smalls. I really hope you're wrong about that. When would I be able to tell for sure?

Bobblehead27

Yea I'm starting to think you're right. Just some colorless males. Man. Maybe if I put them in a tank away from the alpha they'll color up? Idk. I doubt my wife would be down for that anyway.

How much are you selling your females for/where are you located? I'm over in jersey closer to Atlantic city but don't mind making a trip over by philly for something like that. I'll just have to find a home for the smaller subdominant males before I could get the females. Don't want to add a fire to the gasoline.

ErtyJr

Yea I'm starting to think you're right. Just some colorless males. Man. Maybe if I put them in a tank away from the alpha they'll color up? Idk. I doubt my wife would be down for that anyway.

How much are you selling your females for/where are you located? I'm over in jersey closer to Atlantic city but don't mind making a trip over by philly for something like that. I'll just have to find a home for the smaller subdominant males before I could get the females. Don't want to add a fire to the gasoline.

Bring me your two males and I'll give you a female or two if you want. If not I sell the females at $15 a fish, I'm located a bit further than philly though. I'm in Oxford PA which is a haul for you. I *may* be going to forked river NJ on Thursday night for new years however I can't say for sure atm. If you want to meet while I'm driving I can drop them off to you, but I wouldn't be able to trade if we go that route.

ErtyJr

Keep in mind also if you come to visit you get to see all my fish, I've got 6 species of apisto and 2 other dwarf species currently. This coming Friday I'll be adding 2 more apisto species A. cf. Borelli and A. cf. commbrae both wild caught from Uruguay.

Bobblehead27

I am definitely interested in coming. Idk when I'll be able to but I'll definitely let you know. I'm very interested. Potentially some borelli on the off chance that they breed by the time I make it out there.

ErtyJr

I am definitely interested in coming. Idk when I'll be able to but I'll definitely let you know. I'm very interested. Potentially some borelli on the off chance that they breed by the time I make it out there.

They may breed by then but it will be months before they are ready to go. Borelli is a very slow growing species. Let me know whenever you want to stop by, easier to email me at [email protected]

Kevin F Smith

Hope all is well with everyone. As of last Saturday Hidden Reef had about a dozen triple red cacs, and a dozen borelli, a particularly nice variety. Fish are being sold as singles, not pairs: $10.99 for the cacs, $9.99 for the borelli.

Kevin F Smith

I'm interested. I need to know your water parameters though. I've had poor success with parilius and splendens, yet no problems with transvestitus, strangley enough.

ErtyJr

I'm interested. I need to know your water parameters though. I've had poor success with parilius and splendens, yet no problems with transvestitus, strangley enough.

Same water as all my apistos, I don't even keep track of parameters any more but it's basically just a very low KH RO water

Bobblehead27

Hidden reef currently has apisto agassizi (although there were only like 5 left when I was there) and 4 crenicichla regani.

If you're willing to drive a little bit (30 minutes with traffic) aquarium center in clemonton nj has a lot of agassizi and borelli

ErtyJr

Hey Bobblehead do you have any photos? I'm looking for some nice normal aggies (not the pale golden form) with a nice bright red or blue tail.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….