• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma hyppolyte

Reggie Leuty

Hello , I just joined today. I purchases a pair of Apistogramma hyppolyte. I can't find too much information on these guys . I can't really even find good pictures. I had to resort to a dwarf cichlid book at the LFS. They are in a 65 gallon cube tank , I think the foot print is 3 ft L x 2 ft H x 2 ft W ... with the pair of hyppolyte are 15 Rummynose tetras. I would like to add 5-8 sailfin tetras OR another pair of Apistogramma of some sorts . Anyone have experience with A. hyppolyte ? Anyone with nice pictures of their fish ? Right now the water is 6.0 PH and 80F temps. Thanks for your help.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I think the name should probably be "Apistogramma hippolytae", but this is just a trade name for your fish rather than that actual species. Similar species would be A. steindachneri and A. rupununi, I'm not going to hazard a guess as to what they might be, but hopefully some-one a lot more knowledgeable will be able to.

cheers Darrel

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! For what it's worth try a search under the name Apistogramma hippolytae (the a is missing above).

I've had them several times myself and have found them to be pretty undemanding. They are a medium to larger growing Apisto. that are on then stocky/chunky side. With that in mind I wouldn't recommend adding another species of Apistogramma to your tank. I don't think it's big enough to house another Apisto. with them without some serious territorial fights taking place. Others may disagree as the footprint of your tank is good sized but unless your tank is REALLY heavily decorated I think you would be better off choosing an open spawning (non-cave spawning cichlid) to add. Something like Laetacara araguaiae, L. curviceps, or L. dorsigera all come to mind as a good choice off the top of my head. Even Microgeophagus altispinosa (a cousin to the blue ram that gets a little bigger) should be just fine. The sailfin tetras like the same sort of hang outs as the Apistos so again make sure you have plenty of structure in the tank and keep in mind the Apistos will have a very hard time raising fry in the tank so treat a community set-up like this as a display tank.

Male
Apisto-weak-spot-male-r.jpg

Apisto-strong-spot-male-r.jpg

Female
Apisto-close-female-r.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi all,
I think the name should probably be "Apistogramma hippolytae", but this is just a trade name for your fish rather than that actual species.

Did this change? A. hippolytae was a valid species that comes in mixed with other Apistos. from Brazil pretty often.

But yes, A. steindachneri and to a lesser extent A. rupununi also come in and are very similar looking.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Look for a large black spot/blotch sitting very high in the middle of the body (well above the lateral line) as a good diagnostic mark for hippolytae. It's not the only thing to look for but it's were I start with these species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jeff's photos show A. steindachneri, a close relative of A. hippolytae. There is an excellent photo of A. hippolytae on the Aquáticos SSA web site (http://www.orkut.com/Main#CommMsgs?...id=5611799815125600765&cmm=112042241&hl=pt-BR), toward the bottom of the page. It can be easily distinguished from A. steindachneri because male A. hippolytae have no extended tips on the caudal fin. It isn't as easy to distinguish from A. rupununi, but it is possible if you look closely. A. hippolytae has a larger flank patch above the lateral band and a larger caudal spot than A. rupununi. Additionally, A. hippolytae has a cheek stripe that widens noticeably toward the edge of the gill cover. This stripe often fades to just a large 'eye spot' at the edge of the gill cover when displaying.

For keeping and breeding, your pH is perfectly fine - if the water isn't overly hard. This species is really prolific. I have had larger females produce spawns with over 100 fry! I doubt that breeding will be this successful in your tank with 15 Rummynose Tetras. These tetras are expert fry predators. Still, if your tank is adequately decorated, some fry should survive. Sailfin Tetras should be OK. I've kept them in community tanks (not for breeding) with apistos.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I think the name should probably be "Apistogramma hippolytae", but this is just a trade name for your fish rather than that actual species........ Did this change? A. hippolytae was a valid species that comes in mixed with other Apistos. from Brazil pretty often.
My mistake probably, I had a feeling that the fish traded as A. hippolytae wasn't usually correctly named, I didn't check other than to have a quick look on TomC's site <http://apisto.sites.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2338&gruppeID=1>.

I usually try and avoid commenting on any Apistogramma ID's or sexing, because I've got an almost perfect record for getting them wrong.

cheers Darrel

Reggie Leuty

Thanks everyone for responding and helping me . I'm alittle disappointed in the lack of color on these as oppose as I saw in the older dwarf cichlid books. I was really hoping for banging colors . Maybe I should had gotten A. nijsseni instead , I was pursueded by the LFS advice of these being colorful and rare species.

Reggie Leuty

Thanks for commenting on the Sailfin Tetras , I will take it they take refuge under leaves , wood , etc .... Would Loreto Tetras be a better mix with the Rummynose and the Apisto's ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I always recommend pencilfish being the safest characoid for breeding tanks. A. hippolytae males show a lovely sky blue color when happy. In sun light they are truly spectacular, but that is true for most apistos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….