• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

when might the aggazzizi spawn again?

Discus Man

5 Year Member
I have a pair of agazizzi in a 10g densly planted tank with lots of driftwood. pH of 7.6 , Gh of under 2, KH of 2.
They spawned for the first time last weekend but the eggs died after three days and the female ate them as they fungused. I am prepping them again starting yesterday on red earthworms and they are starting to head back ino the cave again. When might they try again?

jowens

5 Year Member
I'm no expert, Discus Man, but I think I've read here that Agassizzi - although they will spawn in different water conditions - cannot produce viable eggs in water that contains much or any hardness. So they could probably spawn again at any time, but without using RO water, you might have a tough time getting any of the eggs to hatch.

Neil will give you a better answer.

Discus Man

5 Year Member
I thought a GH of under 2 and a KH of 2 was super soft.
I add pure rain water with a pH of 6.6 but there is trace amounts of sand in the tank that seems to buffer at a KH of 2 and pH of 7.6 , Gh isn't measurable as the two tests that I have say that hardness of under two cannot be measured byt these tests so I know that I have under two as one drop changes colour two drops is very obvious. Therefore I state under two.
Anyhow, thanks for the input but my actual question was on frequency of spawning... when might I expect a decent spawn. I ask since Hurricane Isadore is here and I have about 100 gallons of fresh rainwter. I did a 50% wc and want to do one more 50% around the time I might get another spawn. That way the water will be nice and clean and soft for the eggs.

Neil

Discus Man,
If well fed, aggies can produce new eggs in about a week, but it is more likely that it will be somewhere around 2.
The hardness of your water is fine. However, although not as important IMO as hardness, the pH could stand to be lowered a bit.
At least something good came from Isadore, huh? Rain water can't be beat for getting apistos in the mood.
Neil

Discus Man

5 Year Member
Thanks Neil, I want the pH lowered but there is sand from lake Erie that was once in the tank and it seems to come out of the nooks and crannies over time. There is a light sprinkle on th ebottom of the tank.
This sand raises the pH. I can add water to a bucket with a pH of 5 and add a pinch of this sand... by day two its at pH of 6, then 7 then 7.6 where it stays. I vacuum as much sand as possible but it always seems to turn up...

Anyhow, I did massive (50% ) wc and today I see that the females vent is sticking out... eggs are coming soon...
Thanks

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….