• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What kind of Agassizii?

ericle275

I have bought 2 fish of agassizii, but I don't know exactly their name. Please help me!
1.jpg
2.jpg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
No way.
Both would be domestic breeds, which these fish here are not.
I have no idea why part of the trade/some breeders misuse the name "agassizii Alenquer" for the linebred strain also known as A. agassizii "Alemare red tail" or "blue neon". However, the true "Alenquer" is A. sp. aff. agassizii (Alenquer) A 235, a wild species belonging to the agassizii-Netz-subcomplex.

MacZ

I have no idea why part of the trade/some breeders misuse the name "agassizii Alenquer" for the linebred strain also known as A. agassizii "Alemare red tail" or "blue neon".
Dito. But in cases as the above I automatically assume it's the Alemare.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Both would be domestic breeds, which these fish here are not.
I have no idea why part of the trade/some breeders misuse the name "agassizii Alenquer" for the linebred strain also known as A. agassizii "Alemare red tail" or "blue neon". However, the true "Alenquer" is A. sp. aff. agassizii (Alenquer) A 235, a wild species belonging to the agassizii-Netz-subcomplex.
I had a very similar coloured male to the OPs Apistogramma agassizii. I bought them relatively cheaply in an ordinary LFS in the UK, and the owner said they were Czech fish. I kept them through several generations and all the males showed identical markings, so I assume they are a line bred strain.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

I had a very similar coloured male to the OPs Apistogramma agassizii. I bought them relatively cheaply in an ordinary LFS in the UK, and the owner said they were Czech fish. I kept them through several generations and all the males showed identical markings, so I assume they are a line bred strain.
Not necessarily. Wild type and tankbred,is also a possibility. Doesn't have to be linebred.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Not necessarily. Wild type and tankbred,is also a possibility. Doesn't have to be linebred.
I assumed "line-bred" only because all the males (at least six or seven grown through to adult) had the same colour and pattern.

My thought was that because A. agassizii s.l. is a polychromatic species there would have been some variation if the were wild caught etc.? I maybe wrong in that assumption? and Mike or Frank would be better placed to answer that question.

cheers Darrel

MacZ

Polychromatic means you have different morphs in different locations, but these local populations are uniform in themselves.

Apistoguy52

agassizii has seemed to be wildly polychromatic within population in the few (3 boxes) imports I’ve handled. Heck even the kids in those spawns turned out to be many colored at the sibling level. Mac, which local populations have you found to be uniform?

MacZ

Listen to Mike. I was of the idea of differences between populations, not within one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….