• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what is this????

Mikael

5 Year Member
Hello!!!
I have some apistos and since I bought my first one a problem have been killing some of them. The parameters of the water are: ph= 6.6, KH and GH= 1 and T= 28-29 C; NH4 and NH3 = 0.
They usually go very well, growing up very fast. So, one of them goes to the corner of the tank, stop eating and stay all the time there. Their respiration becomes faster than normal. Some days after this they die with 1/2 of the body they were. What could it be? Parasites? Bacteria? Anyone here has experience with this case? Thanks for any help!!!
Mikael
Brasília-Brazil
P.S.: if anything is written wrong, sorry.....

Neil

Mikael,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Your English is fine!
Sounds like internal beasties to me, but I would not be the one to ask. Hopefully, someone with a little better grasp of these things will give you some direction. I will occasionally treat wild fish with Metronidizole, if I know they have not already had anything.

Good luck,
Neil

Anonymous

5 Year Member
hanging and listless lethargic behaviour are non specific signs of ill fish

if they are not getting fast bellies then looking more closely at there feaces will be of use
internal parasites protozoan and nematodes can cause problems
they seem more common in wild caught fish

camallanus will be seen as red thread like worms at the vent of the ill fish
protozoans and other things will be shed in feaces , often causing enough irritation for mucous to be produced
leading to white stringy feaces

febendazol is effective againts mammalian protozoans and nematodes though i can find no reference for it's effectiveness against aquatic protozoan species
leaves the usual suggestions of metronidazol
or levamisol if worms seen

Andrew

there was an interesting article written about what one keeper did to clean his wild caught fish , unfortunately i cant remember where and didn't find it in a search , perhaps others can remember

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….