• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is a good brand of aquarium for breeding apistos? I see companies that offer kits that come with furniture, but they seem more for decoration.

anewbie

You should indicate your region. In USA aqueon and marinland 20 long are common (rumour is they are made by the same factory). There are more expensive aquariums but for a 20 long breeding arrangement $15-$25 dollars seems the right price point for an aquarium (petco 50% off deals). If you are in a different region market and brands are totally different.

For display tanks there are more 'fancy' arrangements that can cost upwards $1000 depending on size and style.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My personal favorite tank that I use has not been manufactured in decades. It's a Pemco stainless steel, slate bottom 20 gallon long (also have some 10s in storage. The best modern tanks that I'd love to get are those that TomC has in his fishroom. They are aluminum framed (I believe) with racks that match. There's nothing like them in the US that I know of.

MacZ

I think brands are generally irrelevant. Name brand prices only tell me what is to be considered overpriced.
It all comes down to what you want or need and be it a generic manufacturer or a name brand, it doesn't really matter as long as you get what you want.

anewbie

I think brands are generally irrelevant. Name brand prices only tell me what is to be considered overpriced.
It all comes down to what you want or need and be it a generic manufacturer or a name brand, it doesn't really matter as long as you get what you want.
Well some are better made than others; i've had a few aqueon tanks fail on me but for the price they can't be beat when on sale (in usa).

MacZ

Well some are better made than others; i've had a few aqueon tanks fail on me but for the price they can't be beat when on sale (in usa).
Quality is still independent of that. Of course if it's crap I won't get it, no matter whether brand or generic or whether it's on sale. Cheap often means you buy twice.
But I'm also one of these freaks who goes into a store and checks everything I need/want to know about the product in question. In case of a tank that includes looking at the silicone seams and the cut of the glass. That's a given.

Apistoguy52

40 breeder is probably my favorite “off the shelf” tank. Space for a quarreling pair, and space for the kids. The zoo-med 50 gallon frag tanks are pretty slick, but I can never get my wallet to open that wide

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….