• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you feed your cockatoos

toaduck

I am stocking up food for when I get my cockatoos in a few weeks. What is the best. Flake, pellets, frozen, live? I have some frozen mysis shrimp left over from when I had frogs.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Live and frozen foods almost exclusively. My apistos will not eat dry foods immediately. They will sift some out of the sand eventually, but most goes to other fish or waste.

regani

5 Year Member
I feed a mix of good quality flakes and micro pellets as staple with the addition of some life food (BBS and microworms, mozzie larvae in summer, occasionally black worms) a few times a week. Fry are raised on life food food to start with, then switched over to flakes.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Mysis shrimp is OK, I used to feed live Cherry shrimps as well.

Mine get mainly live food in the summer (Daphnia and Mosquito larvae), with a very small scrape of Grindal worms.

In the winter I feed more Blackworms (Lumbriculus), Bloodworms (Chironomid larvae) and Red Worms (Lumbricus rubellus), together with Earthworm/Spirulina flake and Astax crumb. I still feed Daphnia etc., but they aren't as prolific in the winter.

Juveniles get Banana worms and Rotifers as well, but I keep very weedy tanks with lots of moss, so I have quite a large resident population of Copepods & Ostracods for them to have a go at.

Live food is great and mostly fairly low maintenance to culture. I'd recommend Mike Hellweg's book "Culturing Live Foods: A Step-by-Step Guide for Culturing One's Own Food for the Home Aquarium".

If I had more tanks I would definitely raise BBS.

cheers Darrel

rr16

5 Year Member
Mine get a range of live bloodworm, brineshrimp, baby brineshrimp, frozen foods, flake foods, discus pellets and vege and meat tablets. I also feed sliced frozen prawns too. They'll all happily eat dry food in mine so I guess I'm lucky with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….