• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

water quality question

arringfray

5 Year Member
hey,

I just got my 10 gal cube tank up and running a week ago. I haven't added any fish, just some Mylasian(sp?) driftwood. I just did a water test on the tank for curiousity and I was astomished to say the least! My PH is 6.0, and GH and KH are both 2 dGH!! :eek: I'm guessing either the substrate I'm using (http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28661;category_id=3145) or the driftwood made the water more acidic! As far as the hardness, I've never actually tested it before as I wasn't too concerned when I had tetras and such. So I'm a little concerned that when I set up my 33 gal with some apistos that the water will do the same thing as it has in this tank. (the water here is naturally PH 6.6 - 7.0, soft water). My question is will these conditions be acceptable for A.Cacatuoides, A.borellii and maybe even German Blue Rams. If not what would be a good way to change the water accordingly? (I've heard that the "Proper PH" products are good, but I've never used one before.) Also I will be having live plants in both tanks, if that makes any difference in the things to add. Thanks

Geoff

kingborris

5 Year Member
your drift wood will release tannins and humic acids which will work to lower the KH and GH of the water, it has a similar effect to peat, but not so powerful. not sure if the substrate will have the same effect or not, as i havent come across this before.

as for your water, i would have said it would be fine for most apistos and rams. the only thing to watch is that your KH doesnt decrease furtehr, until it reaches zero. if this happens, you are then in danger of having the pH drop rapidly, which can cause the tank to crash out. regular water changes should help stop this happening.

it would be woprth testing your tap water after you ahve let a sample stand for 24hrs to see how this compares to your tank water.

HTH

ronv

5 Year Member
Arringfray, have you started your cycling process yet? If not, you may have more problems when you do that. My water is similar to yours. Slightly acid and very soft. The KH (buffering capacity ) of your water is low which makes your PH unstable. The cycling process creates acid which lowers the PH more and , with no buffering capacity, may cause a PH crash. Kingborris said that the driftwood would lower the GH and KH. If that is true, I am confused ( which is VERY possible LOL ). I thought KH is a measure of carbonates in the water and I don't see where driftwood could effect that. With a low KH, the tannins in driftwood could, however; lower the PH. Bottom line... keep a close watch on KH,GH and PH during cycling and change water when necessary for stability. Another point about testing. You say your PH is 6.0. I thought that also for a while. As it turns out, 6.0 is as low as my test kit could read. My PH was actually much lower. The good news is that your soft acid water is great for apistos and rams. So just get everything stable and you will be fine.

arringfray

5 Year Member
ok guys I just did a test on my tap water (after sitting for 24h), as well as my Mom's 29g goldfish tank. Heres what I got:

Tap water:

ph: 7.2
gh: 2
kh: 2

Goldfish tank:

ph: 7.6
gh: 3
kh: 4

Her tank just has pain gravel with some colored stones mixed in, and plastic plants. I'm Truely baffled by this. I don't understand how her tank could be so different from the tap water. Maybe I just need to wait until the tank establishes itself or something. Anyway I tested my tank again today and go the exact same results. So should I try to raise the kh and maybe the gh a bit? Or should I just leave everything alone?

I know I have a full hagen test kit around here somewhere....if I find it I'll do a more percise PH test on my tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your tank & your mom's bowl are getting water from the same tap, then your mom's bowl must have some rocks (or could it be the food??) that is leaching minerals into the water. This is making the water harder & more basic. Your water is only a little harder than mine. I imagine the wood & simple biological activity (bacteria in the gravel breathe out CO2, too) are acidifying your water. At 2º dKH, I doubt that your pH could drop below 5.5 - if you are doing regular weekly partial water changes. Your South American fish will do fine in these conditions & you will not need any special conditioners (except dechlorinator). Many apito breeders out there would give there eye teeth for your water!

mervin

5 Year Member
it could be due to the "Red Sea" substrate that is in the tank.
it looks similiar to ADA Aquasoil which has even a greater effect on the PH.

30mins in my tanks and the Ph dropped from ~7 to 4.0-5.5 depending on the amount at was added.

therefore i never bother about drift wood, dried leaves or peat when i have this miracle soil which instantly turn water into acid !!!
hahahaha !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….