• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Want to change my planted tank to Dwarf's

crystalview

I have a 65g 3'x25T"x18'' well planted tank with floating and planted plants. My water is neutral . I have 2GBR pairs, 4 ADF, one Octo. This is all that is left from me ODing them on Excel a month ago. I want to replace my 4 sids and add more hiding places. I have lowered the temp now that I don't have Discus to 77.
I am not sure what Dwarfs I can add. I am more into show then breeding but love the antics of mating. I thought to add a pair of Kribs, A. agassizii double red bue body and a pair or trio of Pelvicachromis taeniatus. I just am not sure if I would just end up with to much fighting and death, Nor am I sure if I could add more ADF's or sm dither fish. With my Ph being neutral I am not sure if I will need to soften the water more.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You should be able to add any one of these species, but do not mix Pv. pulcher with A. (cf.) taeniatus forms. It will lead to casualties. Definitely don't mix apistos with West Africans. Aggression/submission communication is very different and almost always leads to mayhem.

crystalview

What dither fish would good with a trio taeniatus? And how many Thanks
2 GBR prs
4 sids
1 Oto
6 ADF's in a 65 Very well planted

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A trio of Pv. taeniatus will quickly turn into a pair + 1 dead fish - unless they are all the same sex. Avoid the Rams; same problem as apistos with kribs.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Since the tank is large enough, a trio of P. taeniatus which I assume you mean 1 male and 2 females may work. Ted Judy actually had experience with the male courting and breeding with two females in a species tank. In his case, there were 3 females and 1 male in the tank with no casualty. In fact, he observed two spawns at the same time. The male was obviously very busy keeping the peace between the females.

I would definitely caution housing a reverse trio (2 males and 1 female) unless there are plenty of hiding places for the extra male. Even then, the extra male would not do well and constantly under stress.

Since you mentioned that you are more into show then breeding, you should just consider getting a lone male specimen of different kind instead of pair or trio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….