• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

using peat as water softener, refill

five

5 Year Member
Hey Mike, so it's just to say peat is good for our fishes : )

BTW, do you happen to know that someone in the trade? :biggrin: :biggrin:

STOKER

5 Year Member
Hi Five

Not that trade what I ment was someone who is a bio-chemist and would be interested in this reserch.
Have used peat for years as I keep killifish but I use peat blocks and do top-ups with the water that it`s soaked in. After all apisto`s and killies use much the same type of water just the temp is raised for apistos.
Just get the blocks from up north where peat is used as fuel.

Mike :) :)

five

5 Year Member
Oh, I get what you mean.

Me too, using water soaked in peat in advance for water change. But do you run an air pump in this aged water to circulate it? Or do you just leave it stagnant with the peat inside.

STOKER

5 Year Member
Hi Five,

Just run a few airlines off my blower into a 45 gall drum, as I use peat blocks there is no chance of peat floating about in the water as the blocks don`t break up, finish up with peat stained water.

Mike

beleg

5 Year Member
This topic is very informative.
I have been wondering. Does peat start to release pH increasing or buffering agents once it has given all the H it can?

I have a problem with keeping my pH down, i use water which has pH 6.5 and KH 1.5 for every water change. And a day after my pH goes to 7.0 in my tank. It wont come down even if i add HCl to the tank. The tanks KH is 1.5 as well.

I am wondering if the peat i use and the peat in put in the gravel has a pH increasing effect after long use.

beleg

5 Year Member
Well,
My gravel is aquaclay, and the filter material i use are from Eheim and are supposed to be safe too...

Aquaclay is similar to ADAs aquasoil.. Its the red version and doesn't go into reaction with HCl. Same applies for Eheims filter material.

Other than these i only have driftwood and peat and coconut shells ..

The aquaclay was mixed with a white stone when i bought it, which i found to be effecting the pH and i cleaned it all..Except maybe for very tiny pieces but then again the hardness of the water does not increase as you would expect when rock effect the pH.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I suspect that your Aquaclay still has tiny carbonate particles in it. These will buffer the pH faster than the raise the hardness. I suggest trying your treated water in a bare tank or tank with silica sand. If the pH does not bounce up, then you know it is the Aquaclay.

beleg

5 Year Member
Hmm.. How do i get rid of the carbonate in aquaclay then? Wash it with HCl?

Because the water i use for changes stays at 6.5 (or 5 if i add HCl) for a week in a bucket.

STOKER

5 Year Member
Hi Beleg

You answer your own question there in saying that when you have water in a bucket the pH stays steady, and as Mike says you must have a source of carbonate in the Aquaclay, this is forcing the pH up , the best solution would be to change your substrate for another type; Silica Sand for example.

Mike :) :)

beleg

5 Year Member
Sorry for hijacking the thread and thanks for the answers.
I have set up an experiment which will test the theory.

I have prepared a solution pH2.5 and divided into 2 glasses. In one i will leave it as is in other i fill add a spoon of aquaclay. Lets see what comes of it..

Silica sand is quite difficult to wash isn't it? Especially in winter :(

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't know the sources for sand in your country, but silica sand is sold pre-washed for aquariums in the US. If you are not using undergravel filter plates, the sand does not need to be cleaned as much.

beleg

5 Year Member
The blank test glass pH2.5 like last night,
The glass with aquaclay from tank is 2.7.. So it must be the gravel after all. Wil look for a replacement this weekend..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….