• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unusual beahviour in A.eremnopyge

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi guys,
Just been upstairs to do a water change on my A.eremnopyge tank and spotted that the female is showing brooding colours again. I looked down into the area around her cave and saw a bunch of wrigglers on the sand. On a closer look I then saw some larger fry that must be from a previous brood. I thought she had lost this earlier brood after I saw her chasing and seemingly eating what I thought was the last one a week ago. Obviously she didn't eat it! Or could it just be that the earlier brood had dispersed away and she lost her brooding care, then started another brood and now that she has some more babies, she's feeling all maternal again and has started looking after the older babies too? There are also a few older babies from her first spawn in this tank in there that I can't remove as it's pretty densely planted.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour before? Do you think that the two broods will be ok together? I estimate the elder brood are about 4 weeks old, maybe 5.

I'll try and get some pictures if I have the digital camera around here.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This isn't all that uncommon with highly maternal females. If she allows the fry of different ages to mingle together, you are more likely to lose many of the younger fry to their older siblings until the younger fry grow too large to eat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….