• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tumor on Apisto

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I just came back from a 6 week work trip and noticed my big male had a tumor of sorts growing around the base of his pectoral fin and under his dorsal fin.

IMAG0111.jpg

Anyone have an idea what it could be? It doesn't seem to be affecting him at all as he is still flaring at the female.

Tank Specs:
15g (24x12)
1 male / 1 female (hopefully will be a breeding pair) and 3 black neons.
78-79 degrees
6.8 ph
kh unknown

Thanks for your help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Looks like Lymphocystis to me. This is a viral disease usually caused by poor water conditions. Since it is a virus, antibiotics don't affect it. It is best to allow the fish's immune system to cure it. Just keep the water in top condition. It rarely is lethal if treated quickly.

gerald

5 Year Member
If that is Lymphocystis, it's basically like warts on your skin: unsightly but relatively harmless as long as it just stays on the fins. It looks like pearly white cauliflower. The only serious problem I had with it was on some Nannacara taenia years ago where it grew around the anus/vent and "apparently" prevented that female from spawning again. It is contagious, but rather slowly, and doesn't affect all species. Mostly I've seen it on S.Amer cichlids and anabantoids. Watch out for lumps that appear to be boiling up from UNDER the skin (may be yellowish or pinkish). Those could be something else. Lympho is normally just on the skin surface.

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
It had been about 2 weeks since my buddy was able to come by and do a water change plus the auto feeders I have were feeding a bit to much, which contributed to build up of the cyno. I changed 80% of the water yesterday and added more wood and plants.

IMAG0115.jpg

I'm running 2-20g sponge filters in the tank. Do you all think that is enough filtration or should I go with a HOB to increase water circulation?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
2 (or even 1) properly operating spong filters should be fine. I don't see the lift tube on the visible sponge filter. Do you use it? The lift tube increases the 'draw' of water through the sponge, increasing its effectiveness. Ideally, on air driven filters, the lift tube should be as tall as possible.

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I had some hidden in a closet that, when attached, come up to just below the water line. Hopefully that helps. I'll do about 30% water changes every couple of days for the next few weeks to clean up any extra stuff that might be lingering.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….