• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tilapia sp. Jewel from Lake Ejagham

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
There is a slim chance that I might be able to bring some Tilapia sp. Jewel into the US (from a breeder in The Netherlands). At this point I don't know how many fish will be available, but I'd like to get an idea if anybody else is interested. My feeling is the fish will be rather cheap, but the shipping could get expensive. This is not meant to be a firm commitment on you part, just a straw poll.

joop

Hello,

I,m Joop. I,m the hobbyist from the Netherlands who helds Tilapia sp jewel.
We(Jonas and me) are trying to get some fry to the USA.
I shall be dificult but we are trying.

I have these fishes about a year. They have once spawned. They are easy to spawn, regulary to other Tilapia.
Unfortunly the man has killed his wife. The length is between 4 und 6 inches.
regards
Joop

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Aaron, The price will greatly depend on what needs to be done to transport the fish over here. Fortunately, there is a fairly large number available, which could help keeping down the price per fish.

Janos

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
I got this fish from Toyin about 3 years ago. I never could get them to breed or even co-exist in a 55 G. I had a group of 8 and it dwindled down to a lone male who ended up making the Great Leap of Faith.
I never saw the barring like in the picture, perhaps because they never were in spawning mood.
Good luck getting them, maybe the F1's will be nicer to each other.
On a related note, is anyone still working with T. gutterosa?
Steve

joop

Hi,

Most Tilapia gets bars on the body and change colouring when they are spawning.
Whenn i have some time i shall post some photo,s of the fish when they are not on spawning mood.

gr

Joop

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Steve, I remembered seeing the last of your sp. Jewel in your fishroom on one of my visits.

Great pictures Joop!

All, there might be a maximum of 42 fish becoming available, depending on how many die during the various legs of transfer to the U.S. I'll post an update as soon as I know more.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Okay, I made some progress with the Tilapia sp. Jewel and like to share a somehwta lengthe report for those of you who might be interested in obtaining some fish. Joop made available 42 fish for the promise that I get a group of Alcolapia alcalicus to him. I agreed and will not pass on any of the alcalicus fair market value to those of you who want the Tilapia. I paid 100 Euros to have the fish send by a courier from Holland to Anton in Vienna. I told Anton that he may keep 5 fish for himself for his help with this. Anton obtained a quotation for shipping the fish to Tony Orso by aircargo (about 760euros) for a total of 860 euros in shipping expenses; that's about $1174 (or $32 per fish, sitting at Tony Orso's). The actual cost will be lower because Anton will sent other fish along for other people and the cost will be divvied up accordingly.

I will probably keep 7 specimens for myself, i.e., if there are no DOA, 30 fish would be available for other hobbyists. The fish haven't been shipped to the U.S. yet but are still sitting in Vienna. Before giving Anton the go ahead, I'd like to hear from other hobbyists if there is any interest in partaking in this transaction? Please let me know by PN. This is not yet a binding commitment on your part, I just want to get a general idea if there is sufficient interest.

The fish cannot yet be sexed, I assume.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
addendum

Anton emailed that he would have the following species to send along to Tony: "What I would have for Tony at moment are: about 200 Tilapia ruweti, Betta falx and B. edithae, some Victoria-Haplos, few Macropodus spechti
"Redback", few Betta simplex, few Astatotilapia flavijospehii."

He will also be sending fish for the people from HCCC in Texas, which would help to keep the cost per fish down. I think this is a great opportunity to get some nice fish, particularly because the fish per se don't cost anything (only the cost of shipping within Europe and from Vienna to the U.S., and perhaps a handling fee by Tony).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….