• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thomasi and Hongsloi Behaviour

T

thondwe

I have a 3ft tank furnished with rocks, driftwood and plants in which I have a pair of Hongsloi - both showing very good colour, but generally are very shy.

At the same time I purchased the Hongsloi I asked the shop guy (very keen on the Hongsloi he was) what would be suitable tank mates for these. He sold me a "pair" of A. Thomasi (Dwarf Jeweled Cichlids) - he tried very hard to get a pair but did say it was pretty tough.

Anyway, I'm not sure about these two Thomasi - one seems very agreesive - chasing anything else in the tank esp the other Thomasi. I've tried introducing some Octo's (again on LFS recommendation) but these didn't last very long (either stressed out or actually killed). And some full grown male guppies (from our other big community tank) but one was killed and I had to rescue the other.

The dominant Thomasi sits at the front centre of the tank and that's all we see 90% of the time unless we make an effort to look around the side/back/odd angles.

I've found one comment on the web saying that if a pair don't get on then separate them. So what are my options - really I want to see more of my Hongsloi. I guessing I could try...

1) A few more Thomasi - not sure of the sex of the aggresive one, so another pair in the hope that some proper pairing occurs?

2) Move one/other of the Thomasi to the big community tank - but I don't want them causing a disturbance - it's pretty happy most of the time, some honey Gourami's do try to breed there regularly and baby guppies manage to survive in the weeds to reach maturity.

3) Get another tank - but would struggle to justify a third tank to my wife - she enjoys the ones we have (one was hers before we married) - but there's obviously a limit to the number of tanks in a house.

I'd really like to put some other fish in with the Hongsloi - something for the alge etc - but not if the Thomasi is going to kill them again
Any help appreciated.

Paul

Z Man

5 Year Member
I'm sure they guy at the fish store was more interested in selling you the Thomasi than worrying about if they would get along. I for one would never put them in the same tank no matter how big.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
IMO your Anomalochromis thomasi seems to be a bit of a rogue. This isn't typical behavior for this species. I agree with Z-man, South Americans & West African cichlids shouldn't be kept together. The aggression/submission markings on most West African & South American cichlids are the oposite of each other. So when 1 says "I quit", the sees it saying, "I'm ready to fight". There is an excellent little book that was published by TFH back in the 70s called "Color Patterns of African Cichlids" (westies were about the only cichlids back then) by Dr. J. Voss. It shows different color patterns & what they mean. Like so many excellent book of limited appeal, it's been out of print for decades.

Randall

5 Year Member
Rogue Anomalochromis thomasi

Hello Paul,

As Mike suggests, yes, your Anomalochromis thomasi exhibits uncharacteristic rogue behavior. This is supposed to be a peaceful, benign species. Perhaps you have two males, and one, clearly, claims the dominant position in the tank. It might be a good idea to try him out in the community tank and see what unfolds. Normally, this species is not a problem.

Ted, when you're finished reading Mike's book, please forward it to me.

Good luck.

Randall Kohn

T

thondwe

Thanks for the responses. Summary seems to be:

1) Don't mix African and S. American Cichlids
2) Either I have a rogue one or perhaps two males - would a 100litre tank be too small if thats the case?

So seems I'll have to seperate the two male? Thomasi - either into different tanks or would there be space enough in the 480litre community tank. Also I guess I could try and get the LFS to trade my (rogue?) for a female - if he gets it right!!

How would the rest of the fish get on with them? There's 3 Honey Gourami, 4 Clown loach, 3 Glass catfish (Kryptopterus bicirrhis), some harlequins, neons, quite a few guppies (small) and the usual monster (7" or so) sailfin pleco. Tanks fairly well planted at the moment with some rocks and driftwood.

Any further thoughts appreciated?

Paul

T

thondwe

Update - moved the Thomasi out and the Hongsloi are a lot happier. LFS happy to take back the Thomasi for the moment or to trade one male for a female. I'm heading towards the former (once bitten etc).

I've introduced a couple of guppies in with the Hongs today just to make they're OK with company. If that all works out, I'll probably put in a couple more guppies, some tetras and a plec?

LFS guy said to be careful abut the plec, but the alternatives (otto's) he was doubtful in getting a quality supply.

He also said he had some Rams and some other Apisto's (Bolivian?) which may also may Ok tank mates. Would this be a good/bad idea?

thanks again for the help.
Paul

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do you want to breed your A. hongsloi or have an interesting community. If breeding is what you want, then forget other cichlids & bottom dwellers. Stay with your guppies & pencilfish. If you want a community tank & are not interested in raising broods of fry, then the Rams would work since they occur together with A. hongsloi in the wild. Just remember that commercial Rams have a reputation for dying easily.

T

thondwe

Thanks Mike,

Useful advice - will probably aim for a small community and see how they fair. I've I decide to try breeding proper, I'll probably find some space for another small tank somewhere (office is looking a possibility!). LFS has some nice Rams at the moment.

Paul

T

thondwe

Just further update really - Thomasi now back with LFS to find new home.

Hongsloi happy, and now have a few more tank mates.

2 x A. Borelli - Smaller than the Hongs at the moment. Male colouring up nicely already and female turning nice shade of yellow.

2 x Crossocheilus Latius - Doing sterling work cleaning up the Algae

4 x Endler's Livebearers - Guppy "prototype", 2 pairs. Females already showing Grivid spot so little ones on the way there I think - will probably try to keep some of the fry from these.

Tank now seems much livelier all the fish are nicely active with the odd bit of chilid male/female interaction. - much better.

Paul

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….