• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank relocation - any suggestions?

Starfish

5 Year Member
Hi - am new to this forum and had intended my first post to be about stocking levels, however....
In February my tank was pulled out of the attic, checked over and set up again after a couple of years storage. Everything is working fine, new substrate, heating cable, small co2 unit, lots of new plants, cycled water and even got round to putting in few fish (6 red eye tetras) last Friday. However overnight on Saturday/Sunday outlet hose from filter detached itself and we woke up to just about an inch of water remaining above the substrate and VERY soggy carpets!!!!
Sunday was spent mopping and refilling - and as I used half RO water, half tap water tank and contents all seem fine. Unfortunately we need to get the carpets cleaned/properly dried out and have someone coming around tomorrow to check things out - but this is going to mean the tank will have to be moved!:eek: carpet sorted out - cleaned/dried or possibly even replaced and then, as there is not an alternative suitable location in our bungalow, tank has to go back in same place eventually! :frown: :frown:

I suppose I really do have to take everything out of the tank before moving it ? or could I get away with leaving in the gravel & plants - anyone have any experience of having to do this?

The only thing I can think of is to buy a new small tank, with internal filter and its own heater to set up to take fish and some of the more delicate plants using existing tank water, keeping the rest of the plants in a bucket - then once I can get the tank back to its original place have to start filter from scratch again - more hassle and extra expense just when I thought I was making good progress!

Anyway would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Jacqui

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jacqui,

You should be able to move a tank that size with out to much of a problem. Pull out the fish, if you can catch them, and as much water as possible. You can put the fish and water into several new, rinsed, clean, plastic containers (the kind used for storage) from a home store. Styrofoam fish shipping boxes lined with large fish bags also work, but are a little harder to move because a styro box full of water tends to want to crack. Only fill the containers up part way so you can still easily move them. To save on storage and hauling, you can safely get rid of about 25% of the tank water just like you would for a water change. After the fish and water are out you can then move the tank, plants, gravel, etc. You may want to but a board under the tank to help support the tank, depending on what type of frame is on the tank. Once the tank is off, move the stand and then start the whole process in reverse. I’d highly recommend a large powerhead or other aquarium use pump that you can attach a hose to for pumping the saved water from the containers back into the fish tank.

It will be some work, put this will beat tearing down a planted tank and be a lot easier on the plants.

Good luck!

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….