• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sweet gum leaves aquarium safe?

ErtyJr

Hey guys so I will be adding leaf litter to a tank soon, and I found a bunch of sweet gum leaves but I can't figure out anywhere if they are safe. I know you guys have a bit of knowledge about it. Anyone know?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hey guys so I will be adding leaf litter to a tank soon, and I found a bunch of sweet gum leaves but I can't figure out anywhere if they are safe. I know you guys have a bit of knowledge about it. Anyone know?
If "Sweet Gum" is Liquidamber styraciflua? I used them without any problem, but they decomposed relatively quickly.

We don't have a tree on campus any more, so I haven't had another go with them.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes sweetgum leaves are fine, but as Darrel says they dont last long. Oaks last longer, especially the thicker-leaf species. I like post oak (Q. stellata), blackjack oak (Q. marylandica), and southern red (Q. falcata) for Apisto habitat structure, because they're fairly stiff and often curled, so they make good caves.

ErtyJr

Thanks guys for the quick responses, I'm not sure of the scientific name for it(will check at lunch in a few moments) but the sweet gum I'm referring to drops little spiky balls.

Edit-Indeed that was the tree I was talking about. Does these leaf produce a good amount of humic substance(can you tell I reread a certain article recently?)? I ha e a second leaf I will try to I'd in a moment and see if it's any good.

Last edited:

ErtyJr

Yes sweetgum leaves are fine, but as Darrel says they dont last long. Oaks last longer, especially the thicker-leaf species. I like post oak (Q. stellata), blackjack oak (Q. marylandica), and southern red (Q. falcata) for Apisto habitat structure, because they're fairly stiff and often curled, so they make good caves.

How do you like white oak and nothern red oak? That's what I have around me here in pa

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
How do you like white oak and nothern red oak? That's what I have around me here in pa
I think all Oaks (Quercus) are good. Magnolia is another good leaf, the deciduous ones (M x soulangeana etc.) skeletonize quickly, but Magnolia grandiflora makes really good structural leaf litter. If you have a look on Dart frog keeping forums there should be suggestions for safe leaves you can use.
Does these leaf produce a good amount of humic substance(can you tell I reread a certain article recently?)? I have a second leaf I will try to I'd in a moment and see if it's any good.
Oaks are good for "humic substances. <"All the leaves are brown"> for the article?

<Alder "cones"> (Alnus spp.) are another source really rich in tannins, you should have Smooth Alder (Alnus serratula) and Speckled Alder (A. incana)), via Gerald's post in the linked thread..

cheers Darrel

ErtyJr

Hi all, I think all Oaks (Quercus) are good. Magnolia is another good leaf, the deciduous ones (M x soulangeana etc.) skeletonize quickly, but Magnolia grandiflora makes really good structural leaf litter. If you have a look on Dart frog keeping forums there should be suggestions for safe leaves you can use.
Oaks are good for "humic substances. <"All the leaves are brown"> for the article?

<Alder "cones"> (Alnus spp.) are another source really rich in tannins, you should have Smooth Alder (Alnus serratula) and Speckled Alder (A. incana)), via Gerald's post in the linked thread..

cheers Darrel

Thanks a ton for all the info darrell. And yea that was the article =P. I forgot all about it but you recently linked it somewhere and I reread it yesterday.

I will have to keep an eye out for some alder cones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….