• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stumped ID

Big G

5 Year Member
Hi folks,

A friend of mine is trying to ID these Apistos, and also sex them... Any ideas??

First one....
Apistounknown1.jpg

Apistounknown1b.jpg

Second one....
Apistounknown2.jpg

Initial thoughts were Cacatuoides, and females at that, but now I'm not so sure, and even believe they could be some kind of cross??

Any help would be appreciated!!

Regards
G!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think it is the most colorful female of a domestic strain of A. cacatuoides that I've ever seen. Now go find an incredibly colorful male and breed them!

Big G

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

It was the very brightness of the females that made me doubt that they were even females!! Particularly the second female... Her Pelvic fins are almost as blue as my Male Sunburst (from what I can see of the pic!!).

I was also doubting my ID due to the very blue eye, and small blue patch just below the eye?? I've never seen this in a female Caca before!!

THe other thing that made me doubt it was even a 'pure' Cacatuoides is the mouth/nose? It seems rather pointed for a Caca?? This is why I suspected some crossing with another of teh same group??

So you are sure they are both Female Cacatuoides?

I will relay this to my friend!!

Thanks for your help!
Big G!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I generally ignore colors, especially on domestic strains. Body shape can be modified on domestic forms, too. The dark markings are more diagonostic. Of the 3 photos only those of the first fish are clear enough to say that it is a female. I really didn't look hard at the fuzzy photo of the second fish until you mentioned it was a different fish. I can't say for sure what sex it is. The picture isn't good enough. It might be a male. The ventral fins are a bit long for a female, but from 1 fuzzy photo, it's hard to say.

Big G

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

Thanks again for the info!!

I did already ask my friend for another picture of the second one. I too struggled with the blurred pic!! Hopefully I'll have another pic tomorrow??

My friend did say that the colours on this second fish are not as bright as the first, and that the first fish dominates the second!!

Thanks again for all the help!!

Regards
Big G!

Big G

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

One point that was brought up whilst in conversation with another Apisto keeper, was the Caudal Fin of the first female seems rather too rounded for a Caca?? What do you make of this??

Regards
G!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Female A. cacatuoides have round caudal. Only as they get older do they take on more masculine traits like a squared off tail and slightly elongated dorsal fin spines. This is age - not size - dependent.

Big G

5 Year Member
Thanks again Mike for the Info!

I never knew about the Caudal, so at least I've learnt something from this!!

Thanks again!
Big G!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….