• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking GBRs in a 37 gal

Sequoiaredworms

Hi guys, i'm starting up a new tank and trying fish I've never kept before. I'm looking at German blues. I'm going to keep it with one Angel and a group of corydoras. I'll be planting a few swords and will fill some space with rocks. The tank measures 12.5" x 26" x 30" (37 gallons). How many rams do you think would be suitable for this tank? I'd like 4 but not sure if that is pushing it, I have read differing reports on google searches and thought you guys would know best.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your combination of species isn't the best. Rams do not do well at temperatures below 82°F/28°C and do better around 85°F/30°C. Your other fish will find it a bit warm and age faster. In a tank with a bottom area 12x30"/30x75cm you can probably get away with 4 Rams, but it depends on how the tank is decorated and the nature of each individual fish.

Cavedweller

Also keep in mind that German blues not only require temps that would stress your other fish they also need ph that is very low, lower then most tap water companies set their water in a city, they like a ph of around 6.0 to 5.o mines 7.0 commerically bred rams in gen only live for 6 months to a year under tap water condictions. They are also very need'y fish. Live food ( hard to find) mature aquarium, and then low ph. Wild caught rams are probably your best bet if you can find them for color The Bolivain ram though not as colorful is much hardier.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Actually Orinoco Rams come naturally for waters that vary in pH and hardness depending on the season. They are not true blackwater fish, so a pH between 6.0-7.0 should be fine. Softer water is a good idea. I would also try to buy from a breeder instead of a LFS. You're more likely to get healthier fish.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I actually had GBRs bred at pH of 8 with fry all survived to adults. As Mike said, they came from water with wide range of pH and hardness. My oldest electric blue ram pair lived for almost 2 years and they are definitely commercially bred. How long the rams live is more closely related to how they are kept. Here is a picture of the male (2.5" TL) from a pair that is over a year old. This is the latest color strain, in Europe is called the Super neon blue gold ram.

IMG_4289.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….