• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

size to add apisto C females in with male

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
My female apisto C passed away not long ago, but I've been raising up 2 spawns from my pair.

Question is how old or how big should the females be before I can add 2 of them in with Dad. Right now they are about 3 months old and I can tell the ones with solid black ventrals (females) and are about 1/2-3/4"

The male is over 2" He was never aggrssive to his mate and she was much smaller than him, but bigger than the kids I want to add in.

Anyone who has added youngsters in with their adults....let me know how it went.

blueblue

5 Year Member
After the fry have been taken out and kept elsewhere, putting them back is similar to adding new fish in the tank. Usually, if the size difference between the apistos in the tank is not too big, it is all fine. If a fry has attained a length of 1 inch, then it should be okay to mix it up with its parents and other apistos.

nightowl1350 said:
My female apisto C passed away not long ago, but I've been raising up 2 spawns from my pair.

Question is how old or how big should the females be before I can add 2 of them in with Dad. Right now they are about 3 months old and I can tell the ones with solid black ventrals (females) and are about 1/2-3/4"

The male is over 2" He was never aggrssive to his mate and she was much smaller than him, but bigger than the kids I want to add in.

Anyone who has added youngsters in with their adults....let me know how it went.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
The fry were taken out as eggs :( Mom kept eating them.

Guess I will have to wait a bit longer before I put 2 in with Dad. There are no other adults in the tank so I had better wait. Thanks

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itartiero

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….