• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick Apistogramma Cacatuoides Male

CBon

Hi, I am new to the forum so I apoligise for asking a question right off the bat, but I could do with some advice.

I have a juvenile pair of Ap. Cacatuoides. They have been in my tank about 4 or 5 weeks. I believe them to be tank bred not wild caught. And the male seems to be sick.

It is a newish planted tank, with about 40% plant coverage and a bit of redmoor wood which forms a cave area also. Dimensions are 80cm x 45cm x 55cm tall.

Other inhabitants are 2 x flying foxfish approx 2" in length, 2 dwarf neon rainbowfish, 7 rummynose tetras and an otto. Nothing striking or aggressive.

Water parameters seem fine. Zero ammonia or nitrite or chlorine. I always use Seachem prime dechlor when I do water changes which are 50% twice a week within a couple of degrees temp of the tank.

The past couple of days (after my most recent water change in fact) the male has been cowering at the top of the tank behind the filter spraybar, and only occasionally venturing out into the water column. All other fish are healthy including his female.

Any suggestions ? I would like to do whatever I can to help his recover. Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, welcome to the apisto forum. Usually when one sees apistos hiding in a corner at the top of the tank it indicates that a more aggressive fish has driven it off of the bottom. Your tank is certainly large enough for all of the fish. Is the male cacatuoides eating? Is it possible that the Flying Foxes are harassing the apisto? Could the female have eggs/fry and driven the male away?

CBon

Hi Mike, I would not have thought the Apisto could not cope with any behaviour from the Flying Foxes at the size they are, though it was certainly my intention to move them on by the time they reached 3" (I have a useful arrangement with my local fish shop). I suppose the female may have eggs. I will have a look. She is half his size though, so again, I would be surprised if he was being such a wimp. Interestingly, if she does have eggs or fry then she is in an odd location as she spends most of her time towards the back amongst some stems rather than the natural cave formation that the redmoor root affords.

Walshy

Lol. She might be only half his size but if she is protecting eggs or fry she will beat him to death if he doesn't keep out of her way. Females get extreamily aggressive towards the male after spawning because he is surposed to protect the outer territory. Most tanks have no outer territory. I would assume cacs have a breeding dress like most apistos (although I have never kept them) and its easy to tell if she's ready to or has spawned because she will change color. I have a pair of beanchi that has recently spawned and now that the fry are wrigglers she has taken them from the cave and dug a hole in the sand near some java moss and is keeping them there. It all depends on where she feels more comfortable. A 50% water change will often trigger a spawn. I am new to apistos and definately don't know everything. But I do know that some of my males will hide anywhere they can if being harassed. Flying foxes are similar aggression to rainbow sharks from what I hear. Unless Siamese and my rainbow didn't take to the apistos when I had them in my community tank. That's my attemp to help. Hope it does :)

CBon

Well she has gone a darker yellow so it may be related to that. Will see how things go. Thanks mate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….