• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing the German Ram.

Mettle

5 Year Member
I found this online...

'Blue rams' can be sexed using a variety of characteristics. The males
are generally larger (most prominent in adults), have slightly longer
fins (dorsal) and lack the blue spangles in the black mid-lateral spot
found in the females. Wild fish are very easy to distingush, but the
cultured varieties may be a little harder, assuming both sexes are
present. If I were asked for one reliable difference, I would say the
blue spangles within the black mid-lateral blotch is the best method (it
also works on young fish and the cultured varieties).

How true is this last statement that I've bolded?

I am curious, because I have acquired two new rams. One has these blue spangles and the other does not. If it was a male/female combo I would be delighted! (Then I would just have to wait, hope and pray that they pair off and breed!)

sid

5 Year Member
hI..................I find that females normally have apink tinge to the belly...........have sexed them 100% with this ................and is more prominant when getting ready to pair up ...spawn

HTH

Sid

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
We must get a different stock here in Australia as all my blue rams (2m/2f) have blue dots/spangles within the black (purchased from 3 different outlets over a period of a month, unlikely all from same brood), I usually use the dorsal method, followed by the pink belly (often not visable on shop fish because of the stress colouring. Just my 2cents worth

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Males can have blue scale within the flank patch. These are located around the edges while females have them in the central part, too. I've seen females that had higher dorsal spines than on the males shipped with them.

Roach

5 Year Member
I agree. Sometimes the females will have very similar dorsal fin lengths to the males but the blue flecks in the black spot are a dead give away.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
The blue flecks as you call them are irridecent on the female only, the male may have or may not have the blue dot, but the female should and if you shine a flashlight on the blue dot the flecks sparkle only on the female.

The longer fin on the dorsal is often the first 2 on the male, but the first and sometimes second spine are shorter on the female, then she may have a longer ray. The full rounded and very pink belly (breeding tube out) on a female is very obvious the day or two before they spawn.

That is the way rams here seem to be anyway. I'm sure there are differances depending on where your rams come from. Rams do mature very young (5-6months) so it should be possible to tell the sexes apart when you buy them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrathian

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(