• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing the Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid

G

Gomer

I have recently bought one Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid, and have ordered in 3 more. I am wanting to determine the sex of mine, and my future ones.

Could someone give me a method or outline in which i can follow to sex Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlids.

-- Gomer

Zapisto

5 Year Member
check the pelvienne fins.
if they are black the fish is a female

this method work at 98% on speciment who is not extremely highly inbreed.

Up to date i found only two fish who make the exceptions.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Zapisto said:
this one : http://www.ca.sakura.ne.jp/~adh/gallery/Images/apcm19980906-01.jpg
and the other i have to found it ion my fav :roll:

Well, obviously I misunderstood you ;-)
You meant two FISHES within the species A. cacatuoides.... I though you meant two species where the females would't get black fins ;-)
...because the black ventral fins are a way to determine young females not only at A. cacatuoides, but much more species.

@ae48473:
No, it's a male, but with black ventral fins.

greetings,
Rolo

G

Gomer

My little A. cacatuiodes has black ventral fins like the one in that link. But the black extends all the way to the tip of the fin and the membrane part on the ventral fins is a light orange/peach colour.

So this is a female fish?

-- Gomer

fishgeek

my trifasciata have black on the pectoral fins, i still think that they may be male
the black, much like in the cacatoides pic is no extending the length of the fin, just close to the body

any comments

andrew

Neil

Gomer,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Black markings, in of themselves, are not entirely reliable to determine sex, because of behavioral variability in fish related to those markings. However, the anterior (front) edge of the ventral fin in mature individuals can be diagnostic. Add to these markings another characteristic or 2 and you likely can figure out what you have. The pic above has other predominant male characteristics, such as a lyretail, extended rays(first several) on the dorsal and elongate filaments on the dorsal and ventral. Although I have seen fully mature female cacatuoides with extensions on all fins, including a marginal lyretail, I have never seen a female with as developed fin rays as the one in the pic.
The red and black reticulations are also important, but must be taken as part of the whole picture. Really good cacatuoides females can have those markings on any fin that the male does, especially the caudal (which can sometimes be largely covered). However, they usually don't have as "deep" of a color to them.
You kind of have to look at the whole picture to make a valid distinction. If you haven't seen it yet, here is an article about that:

http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=27

I am guessing that you have a female.

Neil

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Rolo said:
Zapisto said:
this one : http://www.ca.sakura.ne.jp/~adh/gallery/Images/apcm19980906-01.jpg
and the other i have to found it ion my fav :roll:

Well, obviously I misunderstood you ;-)
You meant two FISHES within the species A. cacatuoides.... I though you meant two species where the females would't get black fins ;-)
...because the black ventral fins are a way to determine young females not only at A. cacatuoides, but much more species.

@ae48473:

greetings,
Rolo
ho sorry rolo.
i have to admit what i write can be misunderstood :)

yes , i was talking within the species A. cacatuoides.

and concerning other species, i didn't make lot of search and comparaison.
but if my memory is good A. eunotus doesn't follow this rules.
and some other also.

@ Gomer :
Yes , seems to me a female :)

@ fishgeek :
As i say, me i believe in this rule for A. cacatuoides.
the fact of other species follow this rule is probably rigth , but didn't get any confirmation.
for trifasciata i really dont klnow if you apply this rules safely.

@ ae48473 :
so it an exception to the rules :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….