• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing apistos: not the usual question

mikewang

5 Year Member
hi, ive read many threads on here about sexing species like cacas and borellis. the threads go quite long, so i didnt read all of them.

I'm just wondering, when people have problem sexing, it's because the fish are too young to sex right? i mean, isnt the male the one with more colored fins and the female yellow?

am i missing something here?

farm41

5 Year Member
Thats pretty much right, although some species are a little less obvious.
The females are real easy to tell when in breeding dress(yellow) they are not always in the breeding colors, so they aren't as obvious.

aspen

5 Year Member
when the fish are full grown and in breeding form, it is very obvious. when the fish are growing out, or there are multiple males, the subdominants are less easy to tell apart.

rick

Discus Man

5 Year Member
aspen said:
when the fish are full grown and in breeding form, it is very obvious. when the fish are growing out, or there are multiple males, the subdominants are less easy to tell apart.

rick
Even for some of the fish. I have a trio of Aggazzisi in my show tank that consists of a male, a sneaker male, and a female. The male and sneaker male are an obvious pair defending their area of the tank against the female...
Good thing my pair in the basement are better suited or I wouldn't have any fry!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….