• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Apistogramma Borellii

naderda

Dear Forum,

thanks for your help already in advance!
I got two young Apistogamma borellii. Length at around 4 cm/1.5 inch.
The first one is I think a male. The second one (see photo) I am not so sure about.
Is it a female? (black line through the eye, the first ray of the breastfin ist also black)
Or is it a colouring of a young male - because of a dominant male being present?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Fisch_2_n_02.jpg
    Fisch_2_n_02.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 97

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It appears to be a female, but I am not sure about the species. In A. borellii the lateral band is much more indistinct on the front half of the body. The zigzag band also seems odd. It is more typical of alacrina-group species. Does this fish always appear like this?

naderda

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I hope it is a female :)
It is hard to get good photographs of this one. On the one hand becaus of a lot of hiding places and on the other end because it is very reluctant to explore the places in the tank, where photos can be made.

But I will attach these two photos. Are they helping you? Do they confirm your doubt?

Attachments

• Fisch2_01.jpg
    Fisch2_01.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Fisch2_03.jpg
    Fisch2_03.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 84

rasmusW

5 Year Member
I have never kept borelli, but it doesn’t look like a borelli to me.
Could it be d37? -just guessing here.

-r

naderda

Thanks alot. I think I shuold wait some weeks and if I may, I will post another set of photos. Then it certainly will be easier, when they are older.

Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….