• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Ap. diplotaenia

illumnae

5 Year Member
I've got no pictures unfortunately :(

I've got a young piece of Ap. diplotaenia that was the female of a pair I bought. Recently, the male went missing, and following that the female coloured up alot, and developed orange tips on its ventrals. The female flares at the mirror/ditherfish. It also has a short point on the rear of its dorsal fin. However, the point is not as long and flowy as i've seen in adult male diplotaenias. As this is a young piece, the ventral length and point on dorsal aren't long enough to be definitive yet. I've been advised that orange tips on ventrals is an indicator of it being female, but its flaring behaviour reminds me of males (of other species) that I've kept previously.

Anyone can advise me of the sex of my diplotaenia basd on the (scant i know, sorry!) information above?

edit: The red on the tail/dorsal also intensify when the mirror is there, not sure if it helps id the sex

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

Very difficult without photo as you might also have a sleeper .
The male usually has longer front dorsal fins. try and get a photo. sorry no more help. cheers jk :biggrin:

illumnae

5 Year Member
It's the only apistogramma in the tank currently, and has coloured up since the alpha male disappeared.

Are orange ventrals conclusive of a female?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In general color is not a good indicator of sex in female apistos. Often juvenile males will look almost the same as females. I think that you need to wait until the fish is mature and look at the dorsal fin tip and the shape of the caudal fin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….