• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RO Water vs. Distilled Water

strohl71

5 Year Member
Can anybody tell me the difference between RO water and store bought distilled water? I know that both are soft and have no dissolved mineral content. However, beyond that, I do not know the difference.

Thanks in advance for any input....

fishgeek

r/o water is filterd under pressure through a fine membrane

distilled water is vapourised and then recondensed

distilled water is likely to be closer to the 100% H2O although both are considered pure

you can use them the same way

strohl71

5 Year Member
Thank you FishGeek.

I use store bought distilled water (and then I add Kent RO Right) because the water that is produced by my private well is terrible for apistos. Glad to know that RO water and distilled water are pretty much the same thing.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you are using a lot of pure water an RO unit or distiller would be a good investment. There are trade-offs to each.

RO - lower up-front cost, faster, uses less energy... wastes a lot of water

Distiller - very pure water, wastes no water... higher up-front cost, slower, uses a lot of energy.

Both require space for the unit and reservoir.

I use an RO/DI unit and get a 0 conductivity. I have very low carbonates to start with, so my unit takes care of the buffers in the well. If you have a lot of carbonate hardness a distiller will get rid of it better than an RO will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….