• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ram ID Assistance

Huck

Hey All,

I saw a new load of rams at my LFS and they seemed a bit different, they were a bit lighter in color than standard. I thought I grabbed a pair but now I am convinced I have two girls. Do they appear to be a hybrid to anyone ? Also do you concur with the sexes.

Thanks

Fish 1
532866_10150911082561026_2022447640_n.jpg

Fish 2
575304_10150911083141026_1487981455_n.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Fish #1 is a female. I need a different angle/shot to tell the sex of fish #2. The longer anal fin sort of says boy put if you can post a full side shot of the fish that would help.

Hybrid? With what? Selectively bred fish-sure.

Huck

Sorry, bad choice of words. They seemed to all be more gold then normal GBR and they all had pink on the belly of some kind. I didnt know if these were a new type of ram on the market. I will post some more pics when I get a chance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
#2 is definitely a female, too. Your Rams are one of the dozens of color morphs of M. ramirezi (some wild some domestic strains). I really don't think of them as 'German Blue Rams'. The original GBR showed much more blue on the body and gold restricted to the head. In addition the original GBR was a deep bodied/high backed strain. Your fish have the wild body shape. In some ways they remind me of the 'Rainbow Ram' of the early 1980s.

Huck

Thanks - I appreciate the information. Off to try to find a suitable male.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….