• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Raising Eb rams artificially

Jacob Rodriguez

I had about 100 fry in a 2.5 gallon tank with a airstone and some methylene blue solution and all started free swimming and tried to feed them decap bbs they seemed to eat it not sure what happened . I was doing 50 percent water changes but two days after they started free swimming they all just up and died. Any advice anyone thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably a combination of starvation and deteriorating water quality. Most breeders are more successful with infusoria for the first few days. Live foods would also increase the odds of food being eaten. As fry die the bacteria increases, oxygen is consumed, and water quality goes down quickly. You might have had more success if you had a sponge filter in the tank and changed water more frequently (2X/day using water from the adults' tank). Good luck next time the adults breed.

Jacob Rodriguez

Thats what i was thinking too water quality and what i was feeding them. So i just got a sponge filter in yesterday and a heater to raise the temp to see if that would help as well. Now just need to figure how to culture some infusoria so i should do 2 50 percent water changes.

regani

5 Year Member
if you don't have an infusoria culture, you can also siphon out some of the mulm and dirt at the bottom of your main tank and transfer it to the fry tank. that stuff has a huge surface area and is full of microorganisms.
once you a fuly established sponge filter that has been running for a few months a lot of the good stuff will also grow on there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….