• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

preparing a dip

scott

5 Year Member
does anyone know how much formalin (formaldehyde - 37%) to use to prepare a dip for a fish with an infected injury. it is for my 12 inch male jack dempsey. i know he is not a dwarf but the aca forum doesn't seem to answer questions as fast as this forum and the infection seems to be getting worse so i want to treat him as soon as possible(he just spawned and i wouldn't want his kids to become orphans at such a young age :lol: ).

fishgeek

formalin dose's based onfull strentgh 37% starting concentrate

it is primarily used for ectoparasites
i wouldn't have thought it was much use for a traumatic/infected wound as it will damage the devitalised tissue rather than allowing the broken edges a nice clean enviroment to heal in

0.125-0.25mls/l upto 60 minutes repeat daily for 3 days
0.015-0,025mls permanent bath repeat dose every 2 days for a total of 6-12 days

make sure you increase aeration

personally for an infected wound i wiould net the fish and swab the area with neat acriflavine/povidine iodine/potassium permanganate-do not mix with formailn/or whatever antibacterial product you have available to yourself

a 1-5% saline dip maybe a better treatment only dip for 1-2 minutes though this in itself cn be stressful and always start at the lower concentrations
slightly reduced water temperature should slow bacterial replication
and imroved water quality will aid in the fish having a clean wound ebnviroment to heal in

melafix is also useful, or jsut the base agaent tea tree oil

andrew

scott

5 Year Member
thanks for the info. i posted my problem on the aca forum( the injury looks like a cotton ball is growing over it) and the answer i got was to use formaldehyde. your answer seems more knowledgable so i will take your advise instead. thank you

fishgeek

cotton wall like growth would suggest either seondary infection with flavo/flexibacter columnaris(bacteria though is called mouthfungus/finrot/peduncle disease etc)
or seconday infection with fungus

salt will help with osmotic stress of any open skin wound so low levels as permanent bath can be useful , are jack dempsey salt tolerant?
never kept bigger cichlids

andrew

aspen

5 Year Member
if it were me, i would use a pp dip, and keep the fish in very clean water. daily water changes will cure almost any external problem, a fish's own immune system has a very strong effect provided you keep their water clean. you should see the problem heal in a few days this way.

formalin would not be my first choice for that kind of problem. salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gals will help the healing process though.

rick

scott

5 Year Member
thanks again. i have been doing 25% water changes every day for a few days now and the "cotton ball" is totally gone and the wound seems to be healing :D . i haven't used anything at all other than the daily water changes. again, thank you and i'm sorry about the non dwarf related question :oops: . the pair of dempseys(and their fry) are the only large fish i am keeping at the moment and i want to keep them healthy.

Corie Dora

5 Year Member
Glad he's doing better :) If you ever have that happen again, a great remedy is to wipe a little acriflavin on the cotton growth. I did this for a killi who had a cottony eye after hoping out of the tank and rolling on the floor, and a goldfish who had a fuzzy flank after the same experience.

I have no idea where you get the stuff though. LFS owner gave me a few tsps in the bottom of a fish bag, and I've had it for a few years now.

Corie ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….