• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pop eye symptoms on taeniatus

georgedv

5 Year Member
Over the coarse of this year a number of my taeniatus nyete have started their death spiral by first showing symptoms of popeye. They swim eat and do all the healthy things they do. The next stage is clamped fins, no feeding and lay still at the bottom of the tank until they die.

I also have a colony of taeniatus moliwe that although in another tank they get the exact same water, food....everything...the same as the nyetes, but have never fallen to this disease. Twice this year i scraped the tank of my nyete colony sterilized and even changed substrate, plants, filter, thermometer and all other components of its make up.

I have tried many brands of med to treat the symptoms but always fail. I have blamed this failure to not catching the disease on time or poor dosage or wrong diagnosis.

Today I would like to ask the forum for help. Has anyone had this experience and found med that works? Also, am I missing my diagnosis and treating for the wrong thing? Basically any help will be of great help on this.

thank you
g

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
From what I understand, pop-eye is usually a secondary symptom of some other internal infection that is usually terminal. If you continually have a population that is attacked this way, it often means that aquarium conditions aren't good enough. They may be adequate for other populations, but not this one. I think it's time to take a hard look at everything in and attached to the aquarium. This can be water conditions, substrate & decorations, air source, and even the condition of the heater (it might have a short and putting a small current into the tank).

whaccapy73

5 Year Member
My boyfriends beta fish has pop-eye. As of two days ago, one eye is bulging and he will not eat anything at all.

Aside from cleaning the water, what else can be done to treat it?

whaccapy73

5 Year Member
On Friday, June 20th, my boyfriend began using a solution for the water for pop-eye treatment, and then the day before yesterday the betas other eye popped.

What on earth can he do?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Sorry to hear this, but as Mike says it usually is a symptom of poor water conditions. If you haven't got any plants? I'd get some, as they aren't only decorative, but have a good effect on water conditions, and particularly on nitrogen levels (in all its forms).

Personally the "twice a year sterilization" worries me as well, I'm probably a bit cautious, but I leave my tanks for at least 6 months to stabilise before I put any fish in.

Have a look at the "Skeptical Aquarist" pages on the nitrogen cycle, it explains why a clean tank often isn't a healthy one. They aren't updated anymore but they are the best description of the essential processes in a tank that I've found.

Also "ApistoBobs" pages, Bob is a member of this site, and they are a fantastic resource.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyiahib

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….