• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please ID.

Daisy14

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hello, i'm new here. And forgive me for my poor Englisch. I've bought this fish with the name Wilhelmi. But i now know it isn't. Can you help me with the identivication? Its either a agassizzi, tefe or net.
Firts pic is the female i think. She is about 3 cm. Yellow mostly.
Second pic the large male, about 5,5 cm. He has a piontend tail. You can see the collors
Third pic is off both male. The smaller one is about 4,5 cm and his tail isn't that pionted, more round.

I hope some one can tell me whate these are.
Thank you!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, the mature males are A. agassizii; probably A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net). I hate to say it, but your 3 cm 'female' might be a young male. The dark band around the caudal fin us unusual in females of the A. agassizii superspecies.

Daisy14

IMG_8727.JPG

Mike Wise, I,m sorry but the picture is a bit distorted due to the background. The tail is transparent with a shiny red. She is yellow. this is another pic, with her vriend (??). We bought her white the big male. The male is now about 6 cm. This one is about 3. Do you still think this is a male?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, the top fish probably is a female. Such is the curse of domestic-bred, color enhanced apistos; everything is so altered that it's hard to sex the fish at times. BTW the width of the lateral band is very odd. It reminds me more of the lateral band seen on pulchra-complex species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK, then you mean A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net), a form found north of the Amazon from the Rio Negro to at least the Rio Jari (Amapa state). Cachoeira is Brazilian Portugese for 'rapids' and probably is a commercial name and not a location. As I originally wrote, "... probably A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) ...". Unless you know for certain where it was collected, I wouldn't give it a name other than 'A. agassizii'. The female, however, probably is A. sp. Wilhelmi/Abacaxis, which is a member of the pulchra-complex.

Daisy14

Youre absolutely right. Tom tought that it might be apist. gephyra. But it is so difficult for us to see.
Do you realy think the female might be a wilhelmi? And her friend, is that a female too? We've spoken with the sellor and we can return the apist. We only do this if we are sure of what is male and what is female. We now have to many males and the stress level in the tank is to high.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm fairly certain that the one fish is a species in the pulchra-complex. I'm not positive that it is A. sp. Abacaxis/Wilhelmi, however. The fish below her probably is a female of an agassizii-complex species, but might be an immature male. The bottom fish in the post above is definitely a male, probably A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net). I am not certain of the sex of the other fish. How large is it?

Daisy14

The fish in picture 1, and 5 (the one belowe), and 6 are the same. It is now about 3cm. It is growing very slow. The other two grown much faster and are about 6/7 cm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….