• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help me ID this Pebas-like fish

Melanochromis

I went to Hong Kong and saw a tank of interesting Apistogramma. The shop owner said they are wild-caught fish called "cruzi algodon"

Is the fish is one of those "Pebas"? Can it be A. sp. "Pebas" (Noronha), which is coded A88 in the Datz book? Would anyone be able to confirm the ID of the fish?

HKAQ044.jpg

HKAQ05.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it is A. sp. Pebas. I cannot give it a population name because we do not know where it was collected. A. sp. Pebas populations are now known to be distributed in streams between Oran and Pebas.

Melanochromis

Thank you, Mike. Can I ask what's the difference between "Pebas" and the fish called "Roca Eterna"? And if perhaps Roca Eterna is another population of Pebas?

Anyway, here are some more pictures of a fish from that batch. This one seems to be female.

HKAQ08.jpg

HKAQ09.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Roca Eterna, like A. sp. Papagei, has a double caudal spot shaped more like a horizontal figure 8 (obviously pinched in the middle where the caudal spot meets the darker middle of Bar 7). A. sp. Pebas has a double spot with with little or no 'pinching'. Populations of A. sp. Pebas are found with both A. sp. Roca Eterna & A. sp. Papagei. This assemblage of species/forms really needs much more study, both distribution and genetics.

Melanochromis

I see. If the difference is only the shape caudal spot, it seems quite minor to me. It reminds me of the martini and pantalone case. Anyway, I guess all the tiny things make a difference in Apistogramma.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….