• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

plants in tank

shirley

5 Year Member
I am an avid perennial gardener, but have never attempted a planted aqaurium. I have a 29 gall. community tank and a 55 gallon severum tank. I was wondering if I used only plants that I can attach to rocks and bogwood, will I still need to fertilize them? As my severums get larger, they will begin to dig, so I was thinking of starting out with anubias, etc., that I can attach to the rocks and wood. As you can see, I have no idea how to begin. Shirley

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
I do a lot of on-wood propagating. Yes, you still need to fertilize. If you are raising severums, I would stick to really tough Anubias, and even though might lose new growth to the fish... severums like plants!

shirley

5 Year Member
lighting, etc.

Someone asked what kind of lighting I have - just the flourescents that came with my hoods. I have seen quite a selection in my fish catalogs, however. If I stick to anubias, etc., how do I fertilize them? I prefer a dark walnut colored gravel substrate about 3/4 to 1 inch deep. This seems to show the fish's colors off beautifully. I have several good fish books, all of which have chapters on the planted aquarium, but they all concentrate on massive substrate plantings, which don't interest me. I would like to have a few live plants attached to rocks and bogwood, interspersed with my artificial background plants.

farm41

5 Year Member
The tanks only come with the minimum for showing off the fish. Growing plants takes more light. 1-2 watts per gallon for low light plants like anubias and crypts.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….