• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Piling Sand At Hut Entrance

MapleNeil

One of my Hongsloi apistogrammas spends a lot of time in his coconut hut and has piled up sand in front of it, high enough that he has to go on his side to get in and out.
Is this normal for a male apisto?

MacZ

Seeing the same with my A. hongsloi. Are you sure it's the male? Here the female dug the entrance shut. Could also be that both work together.

MapleNeil

Its the one I think is a sleeper male. With the other definite males gone he is still quite shy and hasn't colored up much. Maybe he is too young. Or maybe its two females.

MacZ

My guess it that your "sleeper male" is actually a female.

Probably.

BUT: Actually, over the past few days my adult (and guaranteed) male has taken over the cave my female used to use and also dug the entrance a bit smaller. But he doesn't dig as much as the female did. She abandoned the cave a few days ago, he moved in since.
photo_2021-02-05_17-23-40.jpgphoto_2021-02-05_17-26-32.jpg

@MapleNeil, can you take a picture?

MapleNeil

Here's a picture of the coconut hut, and the two of them swimming around (flirting?) yesterday.

Attachments

• 20210205_142047.jpg
    20210205_142047.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 162
  • 20210204_120634.jpg
    20210204_120634.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 155

MapleNeil

Its quite a mystery. If you look at my hongsloi thread in the cichlid ID section, these are the two "supposed females" pictured there. One of them sometimes has more color.

MapleNeil

Does this picture of the two change anyone's mind? Perhaps gender fluid?

Attachments

• 20210109_112645.jpg
    20210109_112645.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 158

MapleNeil

I wonder if the male is not doing well and lost his color. Or can a female sometimes color up a bit like that?

MacZ

Does this picture of the two change anyone's mind? Perhaps gender fluid?

It doesn't take any change for me. I said it's a male from the start, and that picture just confirms it.
And no, it could just be relatively young. The colouration is consistent with the display colours mine showed.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….