• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pike id

Apistt_ed

Hi don,

Well, did you have any pictures when this fish is aggressive or stressed that show it's crossbands? if I could see clearly, in the male, if there are nine or eleven crossbands, the possibilities of what it could be would be narrowed further. General rule is eleven crossbands would mean only two possiblities (C.wallacii or C. notophthalmus) and with less, then it should be one of the other species instead.

I have never heard of C.wallacii coming from that river in columbia. As far as I know it only comes from the two rivers, Rio Orinoco & Rio Uaupes. With that in mind, I'd have to say there is a very likely chance that your fish is C. regani because it is so widely distributed throughout the amazon. With that range, keep in mind that not all C.regani will look alike. There are many color morphs of C.regani all throughout its range and with that being said, that's probably the fish you have there. Many different colors of caudal fins, dorsals, and bellies of females but all classified C.regani. The lateral band extending in the male from just past the eye all the way to pass the caudal spot and into the caudal fin would also give it away as possibly but most likely C. regani also.

I hope this has helped a little. John

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Crenicichla is not my specialty, but based on my favorite reference book it appears to be C. sp. Orinoco. This undescribed species is the only dwarf pike known from the Rio Atabapo (also found in the Rio Inirida & farther north in the Rio Guariquito). It's supposed to be closely related to C. notophthalmus, but doesn't have the extended front dorsal spines.

Aquatico

5 Year Member
This fish has 12 to 13 bands on it when it is stressed. I realy dont think it is regani. I first thought they were notophthalmus. I have regani and notophthalmus and side by side they look like three dif. sp.

Don

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….