• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ph and apisto iniridae (wild)

trev12

hey just wanted some info on my apistos.
I have wild caught apisto iniridae and I am using R/O water with some KH Booster from Nutrafin.
the tds of the R/O is 0 . and the ph is about 7.0
I need to get around ph of 4.0 or less for these guys. the tank is 4.8 ph now and the female is no longer hiding and getting picked on by the male. actually she is ready to spawn and he is on the run ..
So the problem is the ph wants to keep going up through the night and its 5.0-5.5 in the morning. im using ph down wich is sulphuric acid. I get the ph to 4.6 ish in the morning and that's fine for the day till the next morning. the perameters are less than 1 degree of hardness and the tds is around 40
why would my ph go up through the night?
any help would be great.
thanks
trev

gerald

5 Year Member
Either the KH booster or other things in the tank are neutralizing the acid. 5.0 to 5.5 might be just fine. If that's where the pH seems to stabilize, I would leave it there and see if your fish breed. In very soft, low-ion water, a tiny shift in ion concentrations can appear as a significant pH change, even though its biologically insignificant. Fish dont necessarily need the extreme water conditions they were found in in the wild. It might be that 4.0 is iniridae's limit of tolerance, and other competing species fail at a higher pH, so iniridae may survive there because other species can't, not because that's their optimal pH.

gerald

5 Year Member
Wet - What temperature would you suggest for Trev to get a good 50/50 sex ratio with iniridae? Seems like blackwater fish are generally more prone to skewed sex ratios than other fish. BTW Trev - sex determination in Apistos happens somewhere around 30 to 60 days after hatching, not at birth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….