• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pH probe keeps drying out

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Hi all,

I'm using a Hanna 98129. The pH probe has a cap with a well that holds a few drops of storage solution, and I store it upright. However, if left longer than a week or so, the storage solution will wick up along the device and dry out. I can see the salt forming at the edge of the cap. In this case, I rehydrate the probe in storage solution, clean and recalibrate, and it works fine.

Is there a better way to store the probe? It's not common that I need to check the pH. Usually only if I'm adding new fish or changing the parameters of a tank. Therefore, the pH portion of the probe is dormant most of the time. It's advised NOT to allow the pH probe to repeatedly dry out, but unless I set a calendar alarm to replenish the storage solution every week, it's going to happen.
  1. How do you deal with it?
  2. How many drops of the storage solution are you using? I use 5 drops. Perhaps that's too many, and allowing the solution to wick upward?
  3. How do you know when the probe needs to be replaced?
Thanks,
Ben

Ttw

5 Year Member
I've had the same problem. After replacing several probes I changed to an American Marine Pinpoint pH meter for use at home and only use my Hanna when on collecting trips.

Apistoguy52

My probes (Milwaukee/Bluelab)live in the mixing tubs 24/7. On avg they last about 36 months before I’ll start to encounter calibrations errors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….