• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis taeniatus Njanje to buy

AltheFirst

Hi all,
well after that ice storm back in feb here in dallas. i ended up getting some Pelvicachromis taeniatus Njanje. i really think they are the best.(IMO) had kribs, some reds and still have some Wouri. the Wouri are nice and large but i just like the color from the Njanje better. i have lost my last male Njanje today. because of that i am now in the market to find some more. right now i have 3 females with out any males.

i am looking for some Njanje males and or a few juveniles or maybe even a pair that need a new home.
thanks

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
You will not have a very easy time finding any Njanje. Turns out that the location is not a natural population, and the collectors have not been exporting it.

AltheFirst

ouch,
ok, well i can still hope but i do understand that if it happens then it does.
but i should not hold my breath.
ok so i now need to decide what other type that i want. i might go with the Wouri because i do have one pair of them but they are so peacfull. that is what made the Nianje so much fun to watch. they would dance all day long.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The fish that were released into the Njanje area came from southern Cameroon, specifically the river systems north of Kribi. The spots tell the tale (or tail). If you like the looks and antics of Njanje, go for varieties like Kienke, Bipindi or Dehane. My favorite is the natural population from north-western Cameroon... Moliwe.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Both 'Muyuka' and 'Njanje' are deemed undesirable since they are or will be considered hybrids.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Muyuka and Njanje are the two populations (close together actually) that were established by stocking southern Cameroon fish into streams without any Pelvicachromis in them. The Muyuka population died out, but not before the guy who introduced them there moved some from that location to a third location much further east. Some of those were exported last year as Muyuka.

AltheFirst

go for varieties like Kienke, Bipindi, Dehane, or Moliwe.
after looking at http://tedsfishroom.com/gallery/genus-pelvicachromis/ and googleing those names i still do not know which to think about because the photos on the teds sits are all very yellow, (non-florescence light ?) my Njanje is very blue compared to the photo, blue on the gills and eyes with much darker scales.
i ask this because i seem not to be able to find much good info about them (but then i might not have looked everywhere.)
1) is this a good time of the year to be looking for them ? (when do most wild or tank raised start to sell) ( i have been watching aqubid for a few weeks before i posted and still do not see much in the Pelvicachromis taeniatus listings)
2) i really like the blue eye and blue gill, but if they are a larger size.
3) and they just can not just sit there (must have antics).
thanks
Al

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….