• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelviachromis taeniatus

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Try Ted Judy's web site:

www.tedsfishroom.com

Look under the galleries section and head to the West African Cichlids.

Ted has some of the locational varieties posted there. Also check out his species logs for a few more pics.

Beyond that the best I can say is to do some searching for the specific location of taeniatus that you want to see pictures of. I've yet to find a "one stop shopping' site that has a lot of different forms posted at once.

Some of the dwarf cichlid specific books are still your best bet for seeing a good number of pics. I'd highly recommend the Tetra Press Linke and Staeck African Cichlids 1 Cichlids from West Africa 1994, if you can find a copy!

Jeff

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Anton Lamboj
The Cichlid Fishes of West Africa

Published in 2004, this is the most recent book that covers the topic of dwarf cichlids from West Africa.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
As stated above African Cichlids 1 Cichlids from West Africa by Linke and Staeck, Tetra Press 1994 is a great West frican cichlid book if you can find it. It is a little outdated as far as names go, but the photos for the most part are outstanding.

The other must have West African cichlid book is The Cichlid Fishes of west Africa by AntonLamboj, Birgit, Schmettkamp, and Verlag 2004. It is by far the most up to date West African cichlid book featuring cichlids from West and Central Africa...basically if it is a non Rift Lake/Victorian cichlid from Africa it is in this book.

The Lamboj book is my first choice for identification and over all info on West African cichlids. The Linke and Staeck book is best for stunning photos and accurate pictures of P. taeniatus from their many different locations.

Jeff

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis taeniatus

Careful about associating place names with Pelvicachromis taeniatus color morphs, guys. The place names commonly used in the hobby do not necessarily correspond to the location from which a particular color morph is collected. In the hobby, we basically use the place names to denote a specific color pattern and not a particular location from which a fish bearing that color pattern is found.

For good information, I prefer Lamboj's book to Linke & Staeck's. The later is riddled with inaccuaracies and uses some color-enhanced photography.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Randall hits on a good point. The biggest issue are Cameroon populations (which is where 99.9% of P. taeniatus are coming from). There are basically four color patterns, and each is associated with a river system. All of the color patterns exported from a specific river system are very similar, and there is undoubtedly some overlap. The most confusing group are the populations that are found in the Keinke River system (formerly the Kribi River and the location of the fish first described as Pelmatochromis kribensis, which suggests that the first 'krib' was a P. taeniatus rather than a P. pulcher... that's another story though). All of these forms have colorful males with generally large ocelli in the top half of the caudal fin. These include the color varieties referred to in the hobby as Keinke, Dja, Makoure, Lokoundje, Nange, Bipindi, Dehane and Bandewouri... probably others as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….