• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peat Addition Question

Moreta

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I have been fussing with my water as its rock hard well water-by the tests I've run it should be solid its so hard! Mixing RO water and tap water (before it hits the softener as I don't want the salt which would bother the plants planned for this tank) to drop the ph. In order to get close to acceptable (neutral) parameters its about a 3 to 1 R/O to well water. I don't want to go all RO as that has its own set of problems :roll: gee I thought mixing water for my marine tanks was complex...my aim was for simplicity for this Apisto Cacatouides tank!

I've seen a lot of references regarding adding peat in a filter to drop the ph, etc. and I was wondering if you used peat in the tank, do you also "pretreat/filter with peat" the make up water? I was considering going the peat route to reduce the overall hardness and was wondering how stable the tank would be if "plain mixed RO/Well" water was used for the weekly 10% water changes, or if the water should have peat run through it prior to adding it to the tank?

Thanks in advance,

Tracy

farm41

5 Year Member
I use peat with my blackwater fish to lower the Ph. I use a 32 gallon garbage can and put about 10" of peat in the bottom, then fill with water and aerate. I just strain it and add to the change water, amount depending on what Ph I want.

But, your cacs shouldn't need peat. What is your Ph and Kh in the tank with your mixed RO/tap?

Moreta

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
But, your cacs shouldn't need peat. What is your Ph and Kh in the tank with your mixed RO/tap?

When I picked the cacs as a species for this "new" tank I hadn't tested my well water in ages. I remember checking it years ago when I bought the house and gagging then-ran right out and got a softener system. I do marine tanks and use RO. I thought my untreated well water should do just fine as the cacs seem to be more tolerant of the higher dissolved solids I knew were in the well water.

How hard is my well water??? :oops: I even bought new reagents for my seifert (sp) test kits thinking this can't be right.... straight out of the well GH 225, KH 125 (or 8dh) Ph 8.5 and a lovely phosphate content of .5 I figured the plants would take care of that problem at least. I've even re-tested with a cheapo Hagen kit I bought just because I couldn't believe it with similar results.

Mixed 3-1 RO to tap brings the ph to 7.5, gh to 170+. The RO itself is nicely neutral and shows <50 gh. Haven't tried any higher dilutions of RO to well water yet-I was trying to keep it simple. I thought peat would moderate my concrete, uh well water.

Using water that has been through the softener is obviously not good, so my options are either part RO/Well or all RO.

Probably should just bite the bullet and use the RO water, eh? Its not like I don't have it lying around, LOL.

Thanks again for your help,
Tracy

Randall

5 Year Member
Hard Well Water

Dear Tracy,

Matt and I agree on this one. Your cacatuoides shouldn't need peat conditioned water. It sounds to me like your 3:1 ratio of RO to well water is a good mix for cacatuoides. Why don't you just go ahead, keep it simple and do it?!

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….