• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parasites

dhm325

5 Year Member
Hello, a fish in one of my tanks has developed white spots on its fins and tail. The fish was in the tank for 2 weeks before developing symptoms. It might be ich but the spots seem too big (they are about 1.5 times the size of ich spots I have seen before). I have treated the tank with Aquarisol (in the recommended dosage) and rock salt (1.5 teaspoons per gallon). I have also raised the temperature to 82 degrees. I plan to wait a few days and if the symptoms do not go away I will try formalin. Any other suggestions?

It seems odd that only one fish has been afffected. Other fish in the tank with no symptoms have been in that tank for a much longer period of time than the fish with symptoms. I have read in Terry Fairfield's book (A Commonsense Guide to Fish Health ...good book...) that I should test the amount of copper in the tank at least daily. Apparently, there are two types of copper in fish medications (ionic copper and chelated copper) and the test for each type is different. Does anyone know what type of test kit I should use for Aquarisol?.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments.

Anonymous

5 Year Member
Sounds like whitespot to me. Unless you're talking about a marine tank I wouldn't really worry about testing for Cu, it's more likely an Ammonia problem. There are heaps of different whitespot medications out there, just be careful though, if you have skinfish like elephantnose and knifefish some medications may not be suitable. Also, check and see if your GH is appropriate for the fish you are keeping. Rainbowfish and other brackish fish will develop whitespot rather quickly if your hardness is too low. I use protozan, whether you can get it or not is another matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….