• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OT can anyone confirm for me what his is

farm41

5 Year Member
Do you get live worms, or any other live food at the lfs?

I see flatworms in the blackworms once in a while. Don't know if they are leaches though.

Randall

5 Year Member
Mongo Worm Thingy

Dear Ginnie,

Thank you so much for sharing that lovely image with us :roll: .

It looks like a flatworm to me that may have sneeked in with some live food. Like Matt says, they can enter your aquarium through blackworms.

Some time ago, I was siphoning one of my breeding tanks and unearthed a mondo worm thingy that could have devoured the US eastern seaboard. It must have entered the tank when very small with the blackworms I was feeding.

Rather than calling in the Animal Control people to report potentially lethal fauna, I used a pair of extended tweezers to nab the Alien and deposit it in a recepticle containing salt. What was capable of taking down a bull elephant in heat shriveled down to about an inch.

The moral of the story is:

Some worms just ain't worth their salt.

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
That definitely looks more like a leach than a flatworm. The worms that come in blackworms are usually leaches, but not parasitic ones. Most leaches are not parasites. Flatworms, like planaria, that we see in aquariums are usually much smaller. I will try to get some pics of some at school tomorrow.. I keep a tank full. Cool little dudes....

ginnie5

5 Year Member
well I haven't fed any live food

only frozen. Wherever it came from it is now gone. A bowl of alcohol took care of it nicely. I'll definitley be taking a long look at the tank before I stick my hands back in there!

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
tjude dude hit it-- planaria look like leeches but are less than 3/8 inches long and sometimes can have a whitish appearance, your fish will eat them, these things are the same as flatworms, they ususally get around by clinging to stufff and crawling along like a snail.
Leeches are a whole new ballgame they are usually much larger 3/4 and bigger. These guys you will see swimming around like a snake. Your internal alarm will really start clanging if you see them, kind of the same reaction to a rattle snake buzz. You can tie flies with marabou to imitate them and catch nice bass and trout, unfortunately your fish are too small to eat them

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) Do you tie Dave? I have a pretty good leach pattern using rabbit strips and marabou... killer on the San Juan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….